Test Data Conversions
Open Dental will provide a test data Conversion at no charge so you can see how Open Dental will work with your data. To begin the process and schedule an appointment, contact a conversion specialist at 503-363-5432. See Data Conversion Fees for a breakdown of final conversion fees by software application and details of what is converted.
It is the responsibility of each practice to verify the accuracy of test conversion data before proceeding to the Final Conversion. The final conversion will be nearly identical to the test conversion, so make certain you are happy with the test. Once the final conversion is delivered and you begin entering new data, there can be no further enhancements to the converted data without data loss. In rare situations, we may be able to fix minor issues.
Prior to a test conversion, do not begin entering real patient data in Open Dental, because this data will not be transferred. If you are selling or buying a practice, see Practice Changing Ownership to determine how to handle accounts receivable.
How a Test Data Conversion Works
2. Test Conversion: On your scheduled test conversion date, a conversion specialist will remote connect to the server for your current practice management software, attempt to extract the raw data from your existing software, and transfer it to a secure physical location at Open Dental using a secure SSL connection. Extracting raw data is almost always possible, but in rare situations it is not.
3. Delivery: When the test conversion is ready, the conversion specialist will call you to set up a time to install the trial version of Open Dental and install the test conversion data. The test conversion database is a good environment to see first hand how Open Dental converts your data and how to use Open Dental.
It is important to note that the test conversion data is not ready for use in your practice.
4. Proceeding with a Final Conversion: When you are ready to proceed with a final conversion, thoroughly check and verify the test conversion data using the Pre-Conversion Document as a guide. View the Pre-Conversion Checklist Overview webinar for a detailed walkthrough. Also see Verify Test Conversion Data below for recommended steps.
If you discover an issue, Open Dental staff will gladly walk through a few examples of the issues, collect screen shots, attempt to fix the conversion method, and provide a new test conversion. This cycle will continue until you are satisfied with the output. Please let us know if you have input about the conversion so we can improve the process. We make changes almost daily to the conversion application. If we can accommodate a request, it will be converted in a subsequent test. If you do not see the information you are looking for in your test conversion, the data was probably not converted. You are responsible for checking the test conversion data and verifying it is satisfactory.
When you are satisfied with the test conversion and ready to proceed, schedule the Final Conversion.
Verify Test Conversion Data
2. Examine patient accounts: Write down the names and/or account numbers of 10 patients who have non-zero balances, preferably who also have insurance. We recommend selecting at least 2 patients with negative balances if available. Select each patient in both your current software and Open Dental, then compare the patient accounts.
3. Check anything anything else that's important for you.
If you need help locating data, please call or email a conversion specialist.
Open Dental Software 1-503-363-5432