Configure CDS Rules
Clinical Decision Support (CDS) rules determine what conditions trigger CDS Interventions. Conditions can be problems, medications, allergies, age, gender, vital signs, lab results, and/or specific codes.
Users must have the 'Edit CDS' CDS Permission to configure interventions.
- In the Main Menu, click Setup, Chart, EHR, then CDS Triggers.
- Click Add to create a new intervention or double click an existing intervention to edit.
- Enter the Description of the intervention.
- Click the Cardinality down arrow and set when the CDS support intervention will be triggered:
- One: only one condition must be met.
- One of each category: One condition from each category must be met.
- Two or More: At least two of the conditions must be met. Does not work with Vital Signs, Age or Gender.
- All: Every condition selected must be met.
- Click a button on the left of the window to define the condition(s) that will trigger the CDS intervention. There are 6 categories:
Instructions: Enter clinical, diagnostic or therapeutic guidance.
Bibliography: Enter reference information.
Click OK to save.
- Problem: Triggered by Problem, ICD-9 or ICD-10 code, or SNOMED CT code.
- Medications: Triggered by Medication, RxNorm, or CVX code.
- Allergies: Triggered by Allergy name.
- Demographics: Triggered by Age or Gender. For age, enter the operand and value (e.g. >18). For gender, enter female, male, or unknown.
- Lab Results: Triggered by specific lab results.
- Vital Signs: Triggered by height, weight, or BMI.
Enter the operand and value.
For height, enter inches (=>60).
For weight, enter lbs (<100).
For BMI, enter percentage (>27.5%).