EHR: Set a Default Encounter Code
Set a default encounter code before your EHR reporting period to automatically generate a CQM Encounter (based on the code) every time a procedure is set complete. CQM encounters affect the denominator of Clinical Quality Measures (CQMs). If you do not select a default code ('none') no CQM encounters will be created, and CQM values will be zero.
- We recommend selecting one of nine SNOMED CT codes that are used in every CQM, thus increasing the number of encounters eligible for inclusion in CQM calculations.
- If you choose a code not in the recommended list, patients may not be included in CQM calculations if the code does not qualify.
- If you do not select a code at all, CQM values will be zero, though you can manually create encounters or use the Encounter Code Tool to automatically generate encounters for a date range.
- In the Main Menu, click Setup, Chart, EHR, then click Settings in the upper left corner to open the EHR Settings window.
- In the Default Encounter Code area, select the code.
To select a recommended code, click the dropdown and select it.
- 90052600: Initial evaluation and management of healthy individual (procedure)
- 185349003: Encounter for "check-up" (procedure)
- 185463005: Visit out of hours (procedure)
- 185465003: Weekend visit (procedure)
- 270427003: Patient-initiated encounter (procedure)
- 270430005: Provider-initiated encounter (procedure)
- 308335008: Patient encounter procedure (procedure)
- 390906007: Follow-up encounter (procedure)
- 406547006: Urgent follow-up (procedure)
To select a different code (SNOMED CT, CDT, CPT, or HCPCS), click the corresponding button, then select the code. Codes must downloaded before they can be selected. See Code System Importer. Note that if you choose a code not in the recommended list, patients may not be included in CQM calculations if the code does not qualify.
If you select 'none', encounters will not be automatically generated. You must do it manually. See Encounters.
- Click OK to save selections.
Only one encounter per date/patient/provider combination will be generated. So if a patient has procedures completed on one day, one by a dentist and one by a hygienist, an encounter will be generated for each provider.
Also see Set a Default Pregnancy Code.