Open Dental EHR
Open Dental EHR is a complete EHR-certified software used by eligible providers in the EHR Incentive Program. It meets all mandatory requirements for a 'qualified' EHR and has been tested and certified by a federally approved certification body.
To use Open Dental for EHR incentive payments, you must enter into a written EHR contract with Open Dental and receive EHR Provider Keys. Contact us to begin the process. Just purchasing a version of Open Dental is not sufficient.
Certification for EHR is a vendor/product combination, not just a product. CMS dictates that any contract for an EHR purchase must be directly with the vendor. Thus, EHR-certified versions of Open Dental can only be purchased directly from Open Dental. You cannot purchase an EHR-certified version of Open Dental from a reseller.
About the EHR Incentive Program
If you are a dental provider interested in the EHR Incentive Program, there are two paths in the EHR program:
Also see the Official Website for Medicaid and Medicare EHR Incentive Programs (http://www.cms.gov/EHRIncentivePrograms/).
Purchase Open Dental EHR
To purchase Open Dental EHR functionality and reporting for a calendar year, complete and return the applicable purchase form:
Medicaid EHR Purchase Form 2015
Medicare EHR Purchase Form 2015
Fees for 2015: 12 months of support starting on contract date (see Fees) PLUS a calendar year fee of $720 per provider for EHR functionality and reporting.
- Once we receive the purchase form, a support technician will contact you. It may take a day or two of communication before the process is complete.
- We will provide a signed and dated one year contract that will be renewed annually.
- If you prefer to divide the calendar year fee into a monthly charge, you may arrange with us to do so.
- EHR Purchasing FAQ
Open Dental versions 14.2, 14.3, and 15.1 are EHR certified. Versions are not certified immediately, so be careful when you update. For 2015 EHR, version 14.3 or greater is required.
After purchasing Open Dental EHR, see Welcome to Open Dental. Before beginning a reporting period, all users must Setup Open Dental for EHR. Your next steps will depend on your program and participation year.
If you are new to Open Dental, we recommend you begin learning and using the program for dental charting before starting an EHR stage. It may take 1 - 2 months to get familiar and up to speed.
Avoid mistakes that could cost you money: See EHR Attestation. Providers who make a mistake during attestation for AIU can self report and have their year changed.
EHR Training and Support
- EHR setup assistance and training: Online Training (calling with many questions about how to use the software) is $50/hr. One or two questions per call is covered by your support plan. The online web manual and free Webinars are also available to help you.
- EHR Consulting: We are not general EHR Incentive Program experts. We are experts on how Open Dental works to meet government requirements and can explain how to enter the EHR data and produce reports. When applying for incentive payments, you will need someone on your staff to take the lead. Especially in years 2 -6, that person may need additional help if they do not have time to figure out the government program in your state. You may consider hiring an EHR Consultant. Even then you may need advanced help from Open Dental. We will give it our best effort, but we must charge a fee for this. Our EHR consulting fee is $100/hr so we can keep our staff available for software support. We still cannot own your EHR process. Examples of EHR consulting include:
- You want someone from Open Dental on the phone with you when entering report data into government web sites (attestation).
- You want someone from Open Dental working with your EHR contracted consultant for more than 2 questions per call.
You need help integrating EHR Meaningful Use into your workflow process. (While we may be able to help with this, you need to own this internally.)
- You need involved help with specific exclusions or other EHR issues not related to Open Dental software.
We have collected the following resource links that you may find useful when learning about the EHR Incentive Program and determining eligibility.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I need to start my first EHR meaningful use reporting period. What do I need to do?
A: See Before You Begin a Reporting Period.
Q: I am ready to attest and receive my incentive payment. What do I need to do?
A: See EHR Attestation.
Q: I am being audited. What do I need to do?
A: See EHR Audits for guidance.
This Complete EHR is 2014 Edition compliant and has been certified by an ONC-ACB in accordance with the applicable certification criteria adopted by the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. This certification does not represent an endorsement by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Vendor:
Open Dental Software. Date Certified: 2/16/2015. Product Version: Open Dental Version 15.1. Modules Tested: 170.314(a)(1‐15); 170.314(b)(1‐5, 7), 170.314(c)(1‐3); 170.314(d)(1‐8); 170.314(e)(1‐3); 170.314(f)(1‐3); 170.314(g)(2‐4). Certification ID Number: 02162015‐2951‐5. Clinical Quality Measures tested: 68v3; 69v2; 74v3; 75v2; 127v2; 138v2; 147v2; 155v2; 165v2. Additional software used: NewCropRx. Price Transparency: This certified product-version may require ongoing monthly costs to support electronic prescriptions (170.314.b.3), drug-drug and drug-allergy interaction checks (170.314.a.2), and drug formulary checks (170.314.a.10).