Open Dental EHR
Open Dental EHR is a complete EHR-certified software used by eligible providers in the EHR Incentive Program. It meets all mandatory requirements for a 'qualified' EHR and has been tested and certified by a federally approved certification body.
To use Open Dental for EHR incentive payments, you must enter into a written EHR contract with Open Dental and receive EHR Provider Keys. Contact us to begin the process. Just purchasing a version of Open Dental is not sufficient.
Certification for EHR is a vendor/product combination, not just a product. CMS dictates that any contract for an EHR purchase must be directly with the vendor. Thus, EHR-certified versions of Open Dental can only be purchased directly from Open Dental. You cannot purchase an EHR-certified version of Open Dental from a reseller.
What is the EHR Incentive Program?
The EHR Incentive Program provides incentive payments to eligible professionals as they adopt, implement, upgrade or demonstrate meaningful use of certified EHR software. Providers have to meet specific requirements to receive incentive payments. See Official Website for Medicaid and Medicare EHR Incentive Programs (cms.gov).
If you are a dental provider interested in the program, there are two paths:
- Medicaid: Receive up to $63,750 total over 6 years (typically pediatrics, community health centers, FQHCs, rural health clinics)
Year 1: Adopt, Implement, Upgrade (AIU)
Year 2 - 6: Demonstrate “meaningful use” of a certified EHR software by meeting thresholds for a number of objectives. See EHR Modified Stage 2.
- Medicare: Receive up to $43,720 total over 5 consecutive years (typically doctors of surgery or dental medicine)
Year 1 - 5: Demonstrate “meaningful use” of a certified EHR software by meeting thresholds for a number of objectives. See EHR Modified Stage 2.
Note: The EHR Incentive Program is not a reimbursement program for purchasing or replacing EHR software.
Purchase Open Dental EHR
Open Dental EHR fees: 12 months of support starting on contract date (see Fees) PLUS a calendar year fee of $720 per provider for EHR functionality and reporting.
When you are ready to purchase Open Dental EHR, complete and return the purchase form: Medicaid EHR Purchase Form 2016 (PDF)
Once we receive the purchase form, a support technician will contact you. It may take a day or two of communication before the process is complete. We will provide a signed and dated one-year contract that must be renewed annually. Also see EHR Purchasing FAQ.
After purchasing, see Welcome to Open Dental for general Open Dental information. If you are new to Open Dental, we recommend learning and using the program for dental charting before starting a reporting period. It may take 1 - 2 months to get familiar and up to speed.
Your next steps will depend on your EHR program and participation year.
Avoid mistakes that could cost you money: See EHR Attestation. Providers who make a mistake during attestation for AIU can self report and have their year changed.
Versions: Open Dental versions 14.2, 14.3, 15.1, 15.2, and 15.3 are 2014 edition EHR certified. Versions are not certified immediately, so be careful when you update. For meaningful use reporting in 2016, version 14.3 or greater is required.
EHR Training and Support
- EHR setup assistance and training: Online Training (calling with many questions about how to use the software) is $50/hr. One or two questions per call is covered by your support plan. The online web manual and free Webinars are good resources.
- EHR Consulting: We are not general EHR Incentive Program experts. We are experts on how Open Dental works to enter EHR required information and produce reports. When applying for incentive payments, someone on your staff needs to take the lead. Especially in years 2 -6, that person may need additional help if they do not have time to figure out the government program in your state. You may consider hiring an EHR Consultant. Even then you may need advanced help from Open Dental. We will give it our best effort but must charge a fee. The EHR consulting fee is $100/hr so we can keep our staff available for software support. We still cannot own your EHR process. Examples of EHR consulting include:
- You want someone from Open Dental on the phone with you when entering report data into government web sites (attestation).
- You want someone from Open Dental working with your EHR contracted consultant for more than 2 questions per call.
You need help integrating meaningful use requirements into your workflow process. (We may be able to help, but you need to own this internally.)
- You need involved help with specific exclusions or other EHR issues not related to Open Dental Software.
We have collected the following resource links that you may find useful when learning about the EHR Incentive Program and determining eligibility.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: I need to start my first EHR meaningful use reporting period. What do I need to do?
A: See Before You Begin a Reporting Period.
Q: I am ready to attest and receive my incentive payment. What do I need to do?
A: See EHR Attestation.
Q: I am being audited. What do I need to do?
A: See EHR Audits for guidance.
This Complete EHR certification is 2014 Edition compliant and has been certified by an ONC-ACB in accordance with the applicable certification criteria adopted by the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. This certification does not represent an endorsement by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Vendor: Open Dental Software. Date Certified: 10/15/2015. Product Version: Open Dental Version 15.3. Modules Tested: 170.314(a)(1‐15); 170.314(b)(1‐5, 7), 170.314(c)(1‐3); 170.314(d)(1‐8); 170.314(e)(1‐3); 170.314(f)(1‐3); 170.314(g)(2‐4). Certification ID Number: 10152015-3720-8. Clinical Quality Measures tested: 68v4; 69v3; 74v4; 75v3; 127v3; 138v3; 147v4; 155v3; 165v3. Additional software used: NewCropRx.
Disclosure and Transparency: This certified product-version may require ongoing monthly costs to support electronic prescriptions (170.314.b.3), drug-drug and drug-allergy interaction checks (170.314.a.2), and drug formulary checks (170.314.a.10). This certified product version may require additional fees to establish interfaces for reporting to immunization registries or public health agencies (170.314.f.2-3). This certified product version may require purchase of an e-mail security certificate to securely exchange summaries of care (170.314.b.2).
Purchase of this certified product version requires signing an Open Dental EHR contract each calendar year and remaining on support for 12 months.