EHR: Set a Default Pregnancy Code
Pregnancy codes exclude patients from some Clinical Quality Measures (CQMs). The default pregnancy code is used automatically when you exclude a patient from a Vital Signs BMI exam due to pregnancy. A diagnosis of pregnancy will also be added to the patient's Problem List with a start date equal to exam date, if an active diagnosis already doesn't exist in the list.
- We recommend selecting one of nine SNOMED CT codes that are used in CQMs as exclusion criteria.
- If you choose a code not in the recommended list, or select 'none', you must manually enter pregnancy diagnoses with a qualified code to exclude a patient from CQM calculations.
- In the Main Menu, click Setup, Chart, EHR, then click Settings in the upper left corner to open the EHR Settings window.
- In the Default Pregnancy Diagnosis Code area, select the code.
To select a recommended code, click the dropdown and select it.
- 72892002: Normal pregnancy (finding)
- 77386006: Patient currently pregnant (finding)
- 83074005: Unplanned pregnancy (finding)
- 169560008: Pregnant - urine test confirms (finding)
- 169563005: Pregnant - on history (finding)
- 169565003: Pregnant - planned (finding)
- 237238006: Pregnancy with uncertain dates (finding)
- 248985009: Presentation of pregnancy (finding)
- 314204000: Early stage of pregnancy (finding)
To select a different code (SNOMED CT, ICD9CM, or ICD10CM) click the corresponding button, then select the code. Codes must downloaded before they can be selected. See Code System Importer. You will need to manually enter pregnancy diagnosis with a qualified code to exclude a patient from CQM calculations. See Enter Vital Signs.
If you select 'none', you will need to manually enter pregnancy diagnosis with a qualified code to exclude a patient from CQM calculations.
- Click OK to save selections.
Also see Set a Default Encounter Code.