In the Edit Patient Information window, there is a box to indicate family relationships and guardianship. This is not a commonly used setting, however a relationship may determine who is considered an Authorized Representative in the patient portal.
- Add: Add a family relationship.
- Defaults: When clicked, the following occurs:
- Deletes all current relationships.
- Takes oldest female in the family and makes her the mother for all family members with 'Position' of 'Child' .
- Takes oldest male in the family and makes him the father for all family members with a 'Position' of 'Child'.
- The relationships will automatically be applied to all family members.
Manually Add a Relationship
Manually entered relationships do not automatically copy to other family members.
1. Click Add.
2. Select the family relationship information then click OK.
- Patient: The patient record currently selected.
- Family Member: Click [...] to pick a family member. You can select from immediate family members, or click Other to Select Any Patient.
- Guardian: Check this box designate the Family Member as the guardian for the Patient. The family member will have access to the patient's health information in the Patient Portal. The relationship will also show in the Appointment and in the Family module, Patient Information area (first name, relationship abbreviation). For appointments, 'Guardians' must be set to show in the Appointment View. For Patient Information, add the Guardians field to the list of fields showing in Display Fields, PatientInformation.
- Relationship: Click the dropdown to select the family member's relationship to the patient.
- Brother (br)
- Caregiver (cg)
- Child (c)
- Father (d)
- Foster Child (fc)
- Friend (f)
- Grandchild (gc)
- Grandfather (gf)
- Grandmother (gm)
- Grandparent (gp)
- Guardian (g):
- Life Partner (lp)
- Mother (m)
- Other (o)
- Parent (p)
- Self (se)
- Sibling (sb)
- Sister (ss)
- Sitter (s)
- Spouse (sp)
- Stepchild (sc)
- Stepfather (sf)
- Stepmother (sm)
About Family Relationships
The family relationships feature was enhanced in version 14.1 due to EHR certification requirements for immunizations and in response to a feature request for more relationship options. Family relationships are mostly for information only. However if a person is set as a 'Guardian', this also gives the guardian access to the patient's health information in the Patient Portal.
Defaults: This button was originally used for insurance reasons, but has been enhanced for EHR.