Use the Payment window to enter Patient Payments, Income Transfers, or Refunds. Below is a description of the fields and areas on the window.
How to open this window:
- In the Account Module, click Payment, Allocate Unearned, or Income Transfer.
- In the Account module, double click an existing payment.
- To show this window automatically after entering an insurance payment, see Account Module Preferences, Show provider income transfer window after entering insurance payment.
Clinic: The default clinic is determined by the setting in Account Module Preferences for Payments Use Patient: Clinic. Click the dropdown to select a different clinic.
Paid By: The name of the patient making the payment. When a payment is split to multiple family members, the payment description will show the paid by name.
Entry Date: The date the payment is entered.
Payment Date: The date the payment is received. It will be used on Deposits and Deposit Slips.
Amount: The payment amount. This amount must match the total Current Payment Splits amount.
Prepay: Mark a payment as a prepayment. First enter the payment details (payment type, check number) and charge the credit card. Then click Prepay to change all Current Payment Splits to a single, unallocated paysplit assigned the default unearned income type (e.g. prepayment). The window will immediately close.
Check #: Optional, but recommended. Check number is a good way to distinguish one check payment from another and find a lost check on a report.
Bank-Branch: Optional. Bank-Branch is a good way to differentiate check payments with the same check number and/or same payment amount.
Note: Optional. Appears in the patient's account as the payment description with the payment type. Will also show on statements if the Manage Module Preferences, Show notes for payments is checked. When a payment is processed using XCharge / OpenEdge or PayConnect, a note is added automatically with the Payment Transaction Details.
Hide Splits/Show Splits: Click to toggle between payment split views.
- Hide Splits: Do not show Current Payment Splits or Outstanding Charges.
- Show Splits: Show Current Payment Splits and Outstanding Charges.
Payment Type (required for payments): The type of payment (e.g. care credit, cash, check, credit card). Customize options in Definitions: Payment Types. Whether or not a type is selected by default depends the Account Module Preference, Payments prompt for Payment Type.
None (Income Transfer): When checked, the Pay button changes to Transfer to allocate income to Outstanding Charges (income transfers).
Pay Into Account: If using Accounting, and Auto Payment Entries are setup for the selected Payment Type, use the drop down to select an asset account to debit or credit the payment to. See Accounting Setup.
X-Charge/PayConnect: Process a credit card with XCharge or PayConnect. The bridge must be enabled for the buttons to be visible. When using clinics, the clinic of the payment will be used to process the charge. See Credit Card Processing.
Apply to Recurring Charge: Check this box to apply the payment to the next Recurring Charge that is due.
Attached to Payment Plan: Only shows in version 16.4 and earlier. Check this box to apply this payment to a payment plan. In version 17.1 and greater, this box is replaced with a indicator of how many splits within a saved payment are attached to payment plans.
Current Payment Splits / Splits Tab: Lists this payment's current payment splits (paysplits) allocated to providers, clinics, patient, procedure, adjustments, pay plan charges, etc. It also lists unallocated paysplits (unearned income).
- Double click a row to edit.
- Delete Splits: Delete the selected paysplits from the grid. The total amount of the deleted split is added back to the Amt End under Outstanding Charges for future splits.
- Delete All: Delete all the paysplits in the grid. All paysplit amounts are added back to the Amt End under Outstanding Charges for future splits.
- Add Split: Manually add a paysplit.
- Total: The sum of all current payment splits. The Total must match the total payment Amount.
Allocated tab: Only shows if the payment has an unallocated split that has since been allocated to a provider/procedure. Click to view the paysplit allocations. Informational only.
(old behavior) In version 17.2 and earlier, the grid was named Payment Splits. To edit a paysplit, double click it. To create splits there are a few options:
- Split Manager: Use the Pay Split Manager (version 17.2 and earlier) to create splits. If a payment amount is entered, Open Dental will automatically recommend paysplits based on payment amount and outstanding charges and attach splits to procedures, adjustments, or payment plan charges due. If payment amount is blank, you can manually attach splits to outstanding charges. You can accept, modify, delete, or add partial splits.
- Add Split: Manually add a paysplit. See Edit Payment Split Window.
- Family Balances, Pay: Create paysplits for selected family balance line items.
Outstanding Charges: Lists all adjustments, pay plan charges, and completed procedures in the family that have a balance remaining (patient portion due).
- Amt Orig: The total charge.
- Amt Start: The outstanding charge amount after credits have been applied.
- Amt End: The amount available to split to the payment.
- Total: The total amount of all the selected outstanding charges.
To change what shows in grid, use the Filtering options:
- Show Super Family Charges: Show or hide unpaid adjustments, pay plan charges, and completed procedures for a Super Family.
- Show All Charges: By default, only unpaid adjustments, pay plan charges, and completed procedures in the family show. Check this box to also show paid charges. This may be useful if your outstanding charges aren't exactly correct.
- Patients: Use the dropdown menu to view outstanding charges for a specific family member. Ctrl + click to highlight more than one family member.
- Providers: Use the dropdown menu to view outstanding charges for a specific provider. Ctrl + click to highlight more than one provider.
- Type: Use the dropdown menu to view specific charge types (e.g. adjustments, procedures, or pay plan charges).
- Clinics: Use the dropdown menu to view charges for a specific clinic. Ctrl + click to highlight more than one clinic.
- Amt End Min: Enter a value to limit the outstanding charges with a minimum remaining balance greater than or equal to this amount.
- Amt End Max: Enter a value to limit the outstanding charges with a maximum remaining balance less than or equal to this amount.
- From/To Dates: Enter a value or use the calendar drop down to select a date range. Only procedures completed in this date range will show.
- Proc Codes: Narrow the outstanding charges by procedure code(s). This field is case sensitive. To enter more than one code, separate each code with a comma (e.g. D0210,D1110).
- Refresh: Updates the grid when filtering options are changed.
- Group By: Change the grouping of items in the grid.
- None (default): Show all charges for all patients in the family, sorted first by date (oldest charge at the top), then by procedure code.
- Provider: Combine each family member's outstanding charges into one row per provider. When grouping by provider, the Type and Clinics filters are disabled.
- Clinic and Provider: Combine each family member's outstanding charges into one row per provider and clinic. When grouping by clinic, the Type filter is disabled.
Pay: Create paysplits for the selected outstanding charges.
Transfer: When None is the payment type, Pay changes to Transfer. Manually transfer unallocated income. See Income Transfers.
Add Partials: Create a paysplit for only part of an outstanding charge.
(old behavior) In version 17.2 and earlier, the grid is named Family Balances and shows a list of family members who have a balance owed to a provider. As payments are made, balances adjust.
- Group balances by provider instead of clinic, provider: For clinics, check this box to group payments in the Family Balance grid by provider, regardless of work done at different locations.
- Click Pay to create a paysplit for a family balance line items. Pay changes to Transfer when the payment type is none. The buttons don't show at all if Forced is the setting in Account Module Preferences for Payments prompt for auto split.
Print Receipt: Reprint XCharge or PayConnect receipts. For XCharge, only receipts generated when using version 15.4 or greater can be reprinted. This button only shows if a receipt already exists for the transaction.
Email Receipt: Generate a PDF copy of the XCharge or PayConnect receipt and email it to the patient. A copy of the receipt is saved in the patient's Images module.
Delete: Delete the entire payment. Only enabled on existing payments.
OK: Post the payment to the patient account. Payments allocated to procedures for multiple family members will post to each patient account.
Cancel: The behavior of the cancel button varies depending on the point you are at in the payment process.
- New payment no credit card transaction: If this is a new payment and no credit card has been processed, cancel deletes the payment.
- New payment with a credit card transaction: If this is a new payment and you just processed a credit card, cancel voids the credit card transaction, post the payment and a separate voided payment.
- Editing an existing payment: Cancel any changes made in the payment window. To save changes, click OK.
Questions & Answers
In version 17.2 and earlier, why does my guarantor have a large credit and other patients in the family have a balance owed.
This means that excess income has been allocated to the guarantor (and probably a provider).
- To fix allocations, transfer income (Income Transfers).
- After a Final Data Conversion: Sometimes the income in your prior software isn't allocated to the correct patient. In these cases, once a family balance is zero, you can make patient balance zero by Conversions: Income Transfers.