Aging of Accounts Receivable (A/R) Report
This report lists guarantors who owe the office money. It is based on the guarantor's billing type, primary provider and clinic. Aging is automatically recalculated when the report is generated.
- In the main menu, click Reports, Standard.
- In the Monthly section, click Aging of A/R.
- As of Date: Enter the 'as of' date for the report. Defaults to the date of the most recent aging calculation (usually today). If changed to a historical date, totals reflect all transactions up to the date entered except for estimated writeoffs.
- Age of Account: Select which patients to include based on aging balance.
- Any Balance: Include patients with any balance due.
- Over 30 Days: Include all patients with balances that are over 30 days due.
- Over 60 Days: Include all patients with balances that are over 60 days due.
- Over 90 Days: Include all patients with balances that are over 90 days due.
- Group By: Select how to group calculation amounts.
- Family (default): Group by family, listed by guarantor.
- Individual: Group by individual patient.
- Exclude Patients With: These options exclude selected patients in the report results. Check to enable;uncheck to disable.
- Inactive status: Do not include patients who are marked 'Inactive' on the Edit Patient Information window.
- Bad addresses (no zipcode): Do not include patients who have no zipcode entered on the Edit Patient Information window.
- Include Patients With: Include patients that meet the selected criteria.
- No selection: Only include patients with positive balances.
- Insurance estimates and no balance: Patient's with no estimated patient portion but have an insurance estimate.
- Only Patients With: Select only patients who match selected criteria.
- Negative balances: Only show patients who have a negative balance (credit).
- Insurance estimates and no balance: Only show patients with no patient portion but have an insurance estimate.
- Age Writeoff Estimates: Check to subtract writeoff estimate amounts from aging category totals.
- Show last payment date (landscape): Include date of last payment for patients. This will print the report in landscape.
- Billing Types: Highlight the billing types to include or click All to include all billing types.
- Providers: Highlight the primary providers to include or click All to include all primary providers. Provider selection is only an option if the logged-on user has the 'Production and Income, View All Providers' permission.
- Clinics: If using Clinics, highlight the clinics to include or click All to include all clinics. Only clinics the logged-on user has access to are options. Note: When the report is grouped by Family, clinic is determined by the guarantor's assigned clinic. When grouped by Individual, clinic is determined by the patient's assigned clinic.
- Generate Query (optional): Click to generate the raw query text of the Aging report.
- Click OK to generate the report. The Aging of A/R report uses the Complex Report System.
Column descriptions: Below is a description of each column in the report. The columns will vary depending on the report criteria.
- Patients/Guarantors: The patients/guarantors who meet the filter criteria.
- 0-30 Days: The balance that is 30 days past due.
- 31-60 Days: The balance that is 31-60 days past due.
- 61-90 Days: The balance that is 61-90 days past due.
- < 90Days: The balance that is greater than 90 days past due.
- Total: The total amount owed by the individual or guarantor, before insurance.
- W/O Est: The insurance writeoff estimate amount based on the procedures attached to the claim. Only shows if Age Writeoff Estimates is unchecked and there are still unreceived writeoff estimates as of the report date.
- INS Est: The total estimated insurance payment amount. This is the sum of all claims for the individual or family.
- Patient: The patient portion (Total - INS Est - W/O Est).
- Last Pay Date: The date of the last received payment.
After a Conversion: To generate an Aging of A/R report so you can compare the total account balance in your old software with the beginning total account balance in Open Dental.
- Run the Aging of A/R report on the date of conversion. Select the date of conversion as the 'As of Date'
- Select 'Include negative balances'.
- If payment plans were converted, you will need to account for payment plan due balances in the A/R. If Line Item Payment Plans is turned on, these amounts are reflected in the A/R balance. If not, run the Payment Plan report instead.
Collections: To make the list smaller for collections purposes filter the report by Age of Account (e.g. over 90).
To print an accounts receivable report (families with positive balances), select the following options:
Age of Account - Any Balance
Billing Types - All
Providers - All
To print a total practice account balance (all accounts regardless of balance), select the following options:
Age of Account - Any Balance
Negative Balances - Include negative balances
Billing Types - All
Providers - All
To match the totals of the Aging of A/R Report and Receivables Breakdown Report: See Receivables Breakdown Report.
Questions and Answers
Question: I am comparing my Aging of A/R total from two dates. I expect the differences to be equal to the Production and Income amounts for the period, but it differs. Why?
Answer: If Line Item Payment Plans is not turned on, payment plans are not part of individual account balances and therefore not part of the practice balance, which is the A/R. Every time you create a payment plan you are making a loan and reducing your A/R. Likewise, payments attached to a payment plan do not change your A/R, but do affect production and income.
AR1 - AR2 =
(ProdT2 - ProdT1) - (IncomeT2 - IncomeT1) + (PayPlanPaymentsT2 - PayPlanPaymentsT1) - Change of TP completed amounts of all payment plans.
Question: I am using clinics. When I run reports, the Aging of A/R report shows payment assigned to one clinic, but the Production and Income (P & I) report shows the same payment assigned to a different clinic. Why?
Answer: Each report determines the clinic differently. The Aging of A/R report determines clinic based on the guarantor's assigned clinic (the person technically 'owns' the debt). The P & I report determines clinic based on the clinic assigned to the procedure (place of service).