Set up Web Sched New Patient
This page explains how to set up Web Sched New Patient.
- Sign up for Web Sched New Patient
- Available Time Slots: Define the options that affect appointment openings.
- Operatories Considered
- Blockout Types to Ignore
- Search for Openings
- Appointment Defaults: Set defaults for new patient appointments.
- Appointment Length
- Appointment Confirmation Status
- Interface Options: Set other items that affect what information shows when a patient is scheduling.
- Verify Info
- Allow Child
- Reason for Appointment
- Appointment Message
- Hosted URL: Provide patients a way to access the Web Sched New Patient Hosted URL.
Patient Requirements: In order to schedule a new patient appointment using Web Sched New Patient, patients must meet the following requirements:
- A patient record cannot already exist; patient must be new.
- Patient must be 18 years of age or older, or a parent/legal guardian must confirm they are scheduling on a minor's behalf.
To begin setting up Web Sched New Patient, in the main menu, click eServices, Web Sched tab, then New Patient Appts.
Available Time Slots
There are several settings that determine available openings. They are described below.
Only operatories marked 'Is New Pat Appt' are considered for available time slots for Web Sched New Patient appointments. To change an operatory's 'Is New Pat Appt' setting:
- Double click a row to open Operatory Setup.
- Double click the operatory.
- Check/uncheck the 'Is New Pat Appt' box.
- Save changes and close Operatory Setup.
Blockout Types to Ignore
By default, Web Sched New Patient does not consider Blockouts as available time. However, you can allow scheduling during specific blockout times by 'ignoring' a blockout type. To add or remove an Ignored Blockout Type:
- Click Edit to open a list of all blockout types.
- Highlight the blockout types to ignore (Web Sched New Patient appointments can be scheduled in the blockout).
- Click OK to save.
Search for openings after [ ] days
Enter the number of days in the future to search for the first available openings. Leave blank to include all available openings. For example, when 5 is entered, the first available opening offered to a new patient will be five days in the future. When left blank, an opening in the next 30 minutes could be offered.
Preview Available Times for Patients: This area offers a preview of up to one month of open time slots for a location, based on the current settings.
- In the Hosted URL grid, select a location.
- Enter the first date to preview or click Today to insert today's date.
When there are multiple operatories with openings at the same time, an appointment will be scheduled in the operatory on the farthest left of the schedule (order of 1).
These settings affect the length, confirmed status, and procedures on appointments scheduled using Web Sched New Patient.
Appointment Length: Every appointment scheduled via Web Sched New Patient will be scheduled with this appointment length. The time increment of each / and X is determined by the Time Increment of the Appointments schedule.
Procedure time patterns do not affect appointment length.
- / = assistant time
- X = provider time
Web Sched New Pat Confirm Status: Select the Appointment Confirmation Status to apply to all appointments scheduled by Web Sched New Patient.
Procedures: The Procedures grid lists the procedures that will be attached to a new patient appointment.
To add a procedure:
- Click Add to open the Procedure Code List.
- Double click a procedure to select it.
To remove a procedure, highlight it then click Remove.
These settings determines whether patients will be prompted to answer additional questions in the Web Sched New Patient interface, and the content of additional guidance text.
Prompt Use to Verify Eligibility and Age:
To schedule a Web Sched New Patient appointment, the patient must be new (no existing record) or be 18 years of age or older. You can also allow a parent or legal guardian to schedule on behalf of a minor patient.
Two preferences in the Hosted URL grid determine whether or not a patient is prompted to answer questions about their eligibility before accessing the schedule. Each preference is per location. Click in the Verify Info and/or Allow Child column to turn the preference on/off for each clinic.
- Verify Info: Prompt the patient to answer questions about their eligibility before accessing the scheduling calendar. This preference will trigger up to two questions:
1: Has this patient had an appointment with us before?
- If No, question 2 will be asked.
- If Yes, patient cannot schedule online.
2: Is the patient 18 years or older?
- If Yes, proceed to scheduling calendar.
- If No, patient cannot schedule online unless Allow Children is also turned on (see below).
- Allow Children: Allow a parent or legal guardian to schedule on behalf of a minor patient (17 years of age or younger). This preference will trigger a third question:
3: Are you the parent or legal guardian of the minor patient?
- If Yes, proceed to scheduling calendar.
- If No, patient cannot schedule online.
If the preferences are off, no questions will be asked, but information entered on the scheduling window must still meet eligibility and age requirements before scheduling.
Reason for the appointment:
To prompt patients to provide a reason for their appointment, create Web Sched New Patient Appt Types.
- When Web Sched New Patient appointment types exist, the prompt will show with the appointment types
as reason choices. The selected reason will show in the appointment note.
- When no appointment types exist, this prompt and dropdown will not show.
This message is intended to provide useful information to patients. Click in the message to customize it. The default message is:
Your first dental appointment with us will include a comprehensive exam, xrays and a consultation with the dentist. The dentist will provide treatment options, recommend care and address any remaining questions.
The Hosted URL
is a unique web address issued to each location when they sign up for the eService. You will need to provide a location's Hosted URL to patients to allow them to schedule their new appointment online.
- Double click a URL to open it in a browser.
- Right click on a URL to copy it for use elsewhere.
Methods of Providing Access: There are two possible methods of providing access to the Hosted URL.
- Add a link to the URL on your practice website. Then patients simply visit your website and click the link to schedule a new appointment.
- Example: <a href ="https://www.patientviewer.com/?RSID=34343338&CID=30&C=1251">Schedule Appt<a>
- Embed the URL in an iframe on your website. This will give the appearance of having Web Sched New Patient on your webpage instead of going to a different link.
To see a demo: http://patientviewer.com/demo/wsnp_embedded/
- Example: <iframe class="frame" src="https://www.patientviewer.com/?RSID=34343338&CID=30&C=1251"></iframe>
- Change the interface color
By default, the Web Sched New Patient interface is blue. To change the color simply add this code to the end of the hosted URL: &TCP=color. Replace 'color' with the color name or hex value. If using a hex value, replace the hash (#) with a period (.)
<a href ="https://www.patientviewer.com/?RSID=34343338&CID=30&C=1251&TCP=green">Schedule Appt<a>
<iframe class="frame" src="https://www.patientviewer.com/?RSID=34343338&CID=30&C=1251&TCP=.507C77"></iframe>
- Redirect the patient to a specific URL after scheduling
By default, a standard 'Appointment Booked' message shows once an appointment is scheduled. To redirect the patient to a specific web page instead, simply add this code to the end of the hosted URL: ReturnURL=http://www.site.com . Replace www.site.com with the specific web page URL.
<a href="https://www.patientviewer.com/?RSID=34343338&CID=30&C=1251&ReturnURL=http://www.opendental.com">Schedule Appt<a>
Web Sched New Patient Logic
Below are additional details and information that affect Web Sched New Patient appointment openings, provider assignment, and appointment details.
New Patients: Before allowing a patient to schedule a new patient appointment, Web Sched verifies that a record for the patient doesn't already exist.
- First it checks for a matching last name, first name, and birthdate. If no match, patient can schedule.
- If a match exists, Web Sched compares the entered email address to the email address of all family members for whom a record exists. If no match, patient can schedule.
- If a match exists, Web Sched compares the entered phone number to the phone number for all family members for whom a record exists. If no match, patient can schedule. If a match exists, patient cannot schedule.
- Providers are assigned based on the operatory the appointment is scheduled in. It is therefore important to assign a default provider to the operatory and/or assign the operatory to the provider's schedule time block.
- The provider's Schedule should extend as far into the future as you want to schedule appointments. You can't schedule appointments 3 months in the future if there is no schedule set 3 months out.
Appointments: The appointment schedule's Time Increment affects appointment start/end.
In Open Dental
- Scheduled appointments instantly show up in the Appointment schedule.
- An Alert is created to notify staff a new patient appointment has been scheduled.
- Use the Web Sched Appointments report to view and track appointments scheduled using Web Sched.