In Billing Defaults, in the middle, is the Electronic Billing section.
Electronic Billing is a way to send patient Statements electronically to a third party billing service. Open Dental recommends and supports both DentalXChange and EDS for electronic billing. Other third party options are available to use at your discretion.
Note: If you select an option other than No electronic billing, when you generate the billing list, the default delivery mode for statements will be electronic. However, if a patient has a billing type that is designated as E (email), the default delivery mode will still be Email (not electronic).
There are multiple options for sending out statements:
- No electronic billing: Does not send statements to a third party. This option will allow you to create and print statements on your own.
- DentalXChange: See DentalXChange Patient Statements. DentalXChange picks up the statements from Open Dental, converts them into their own format, then mails these to the patient's on your behalf.
- Output to File: Save statements as an XML file to your selected Output Path. Maximum number of statements per batch from Manage Module Preferences will be ignored. Third parties can pick up the XMLs from your file path to process.
- ClaimX / ExtraDent: Contact ClaimX E-Claims for assistance.
- EDS: Save statements to the Output Path for Electronic Dental Services to pick up and process.
The other fields which are editable depend on the electronic billing option selected:
- Credit Card Choices: Send credit card choice information with the statement information.
- Vendor ID: Vendor ID, if needed. For DentalXChange, this is 68.
- Vendor PMS Code: Vendor PMS code, if needed. For DentalXChange, this is 144.
- Account Number: Account number, required by DentalXChange.
- User Name: User name, required for DentalXChange.
- Password: Password, required for DentalXChange.
- Output Path vs URL Override: The label changes depending on the electronic billing option selected. Statements will be saved or uploaded to this location by default.
- If DentalXChange, the label is URL Override and the default path is https://claimconnect.dentalxchange.com/dci/upload.svl
- Otherwise the label is Output Path and a valid path is required. Only EDS has a default path (C:\EDS\Statements).
- Generate PDF: For DentalXChange or ClaimX/ExtraDent only. Determines whether or not a PDF version of each statement will be generated and saved in the Images module, statements folder. We recommend always generating a PDF so that you have a record of statement information sent to the patient.
- Practice Address: Select the address to send as the practice address. Entered in Practice Setup or Clinic Setup.
- Remit Address: Select the remit (billing) address. Entered in Practice Setup or Clinic Setup.
- Clinic: If using Clinics, the clinic name.
- If the currently logged on user is restricted by clinic, only the clinic they have access to will show in the Clinic dropdown.
- If Unassigned/Default credentials match other clinic settings, and Unassigned/Default credentials are modified, the edits will affect the other clinics as well. To unlink a clinic from Unassigned/Default, change the clinic's credentials. Then, any changes made to Unassigned/Defaults will no longer affect the clinic.
Additional third party companies may be able to receive electronic statements however we are not integrated with them. Contact the billing service for more information.