EHR Archived Information
This information is provided as a resource for providers who attested for EHR meaningful use using Open Dental's certified EHR software (2011 or 2014 edition). If you are currently being audited, this information may help you.
Also see: Open Dental EHR, EHR Attestation, EHR Audits, EHR Stage 1, EHR Stage 2, EHR Modified Stage 2.
Years 2011 and 2012
Below are links to PDF versions of thespec sheets that were published in 2012. They outline the specific provider requirements for years 2011 and 2012 (2011 edition).
- CPOE for Medication Orders
- Drug Interaction Checks
- Maintain Problem List
- Active Medication List
- Medication Allergy List
- Record Demographics
- Record Vital Signs
- Record Smoking Status
- Clinical Quality Measures
- Clinical Decision Support Rule
- Electronic Copy of Health Information
- Clinical Summaries
- Electronic Exchange of Key Clinical Information
- Protect Electronic Health Information
- Drug Formulary Checks
- Clinical Lab Test Results
- Patient Lists
- Patient Reminders
- Patient Electronic Access
- Patient-specific Education Resources
- Medication Reconciliation
- Transition of Care Summary
- Immunization Registries Data Submission
- Syndromic Surveillance Data Submission
In 2013, there were changes to some 2011 edition measures. Some were required, others were optional. See 2013 Stage 1 Changes Tipsheet.
Below are the 2013 definition spec sheets for changed measures that may affect you. Note that Electronic Exchange of Key Clinical Information was removed as a core measure completely. For unchanged measures, refer to the spec sheets under years 2011 and 2012 above.
- CPOE for Medication Orders: Added an alternative measure.
- Record Vital Signs: Increased age limit for BP, removed age limit for height and weight, added optional exclusion.
- e-Prescribing: Added exclusion for providers not within 10 mile radius of pharmacy that accepts electronic prescriptions.
Stage 1 Year 2014
The 2014 edition certified version of Open Dental was available in March 2014. 2014 also brought changes to some Stage 1 measures.
- Patient Electronic Access was added as a core Stage 1 measure (replaced Removed Electronic Access to Health Information a menu measure)
- Electronic Copy of Health Information was removed as a core measure.
- Clinical Quality Measures was removed as core measure, but providers still required to report CQMs to achieve meaningful use.
- Electronic Access to Health Information menu measure was removed (replaced by Patient Electronic Access core measure).
For a summary, see 2014 Stage 1 Changes.
In August 2014, CMS released a final rule that granted flexibility to providers who were unable to fully implement 2014 Edition CEHRT for an EHR reporting period in 2014 due to delays in 2014 CEHRT availability. Providers still using 2011 Edition CEHRT or a combination of 2011 and 2014 Editions could choose to report 2013 Stage 1 core and menu objectives.
EHR Modified Stage 2
In October 2015, CMS released a new Final Rule that simplified and reduced the measures to report on. These new requirements are called Modified Stage 2. A few measure requirements changed each year.
2015: EPs: What You Need to Know for 2015 Tipsheet (PDF)
2016: Below are links to spec sheets and info re: measures that differ from EHR Modified Stage 2 requirements.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: The auditors want proof that I completed one test of the Electronic Exchange of Key Clinical Information (2011/2012). What should I give them?
A: Provide documentation of the date and outcome of the test. This test was most likely conducted outside of Open Dental, though the clinical information may have been generated by Open Dental. EHR 2011 certified software was not required to provide the transmission method for exchange.
Also see CMS FAQ 3255.