In the Main Menu, click Setup, Account.
Alternatively, click Setup, Module Preferences, Account tab.
Automatically store credit card tokens: If using XCharge (OpenEdge) or PayConnect Window, this option is usually checked. It determines the default setting for the Save Token check box when charging a credit card using XCharge or PayConnect. A token is encrypted credit card information (card number and expiration date). Tokens must be stored to use CC Recurring Charges.
- Checked: Set the default setting for the Save Token box to checked.
- Unchecked: Sets the default setting for the Save Token box to unchecked. Useful when you require the credit card to be presented for all transactions.
Patient Payments Use: Determines the default clinic for patient payments (Payment window). There are three options:
- SelectedClinic: Use the clinic selected in the main menu under Clinics.
- PatientDefaultClinic: Use the patient's default clinic as set on the Edit Patient Information. If the patient's clinic is Unassigned, the default clinic will be none.
- SelectedExceptHQ: Use the clinic selected in the main menu, unless it is Headquarters. In that case, use the patient's clinic.
Payments prompt for Payment Type: Determines whether or not a payment type is automatically selected when entering a patient payment.
- Checked: Users must manually select the payment type when entering a payment (no default selected).
- Unchecked (default): The first payment type in the list will be selected by default.
Default unearned type for unallocated paysplits: Set the default Unearned Type for paysplits that are not allocated to production. Customize options in Definitions: PaySplit Unearned Types. Defaults to Prepayment.
Allow future dated payments (not recommended): Determines whether or not users can enter future dated patient payments.
- Checked: Allow users to enter future dated payments.
- Unchecked: Block users from entering future dated payments.
Note: We do not recommend allowing future dated payments and other debits (credits) because it can cause accounting problems and violate generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). Only enable this preference at your own risk.
- When you DO NOT include future dated debits in balance calculation, a patient may appear to owe the debit amount and you may attempt to collect it (again).
- When you DO include future dated debits in balance calculation, the balance on reports run on historical dates will not match the actual balance on the historical date since the future dated payment will be excluded.
- If either this preference, or the preference for Allow future dated transactions (Misc section) are enabled, future dated patient payments are allowed.
- If both this preference, and the preference for Allow future dated transactions (Misc section) are disabled, future dated patient payments are not allowed.
Allow emailing credit card receipts: Determines whether or not the Email Receipt button is enabled in the Payment window.
Allow prepayments to providers: Determines whether to allow or prevent a user from assigning a provider to a prepayment.
- Check: Allows users to assign a provider to a prepayment. Useful to pay providers on unearned income.
- Uncheck: Prevents users from assigning a provider to a prepayment. If a provider is assigned, the unearned income type will change to None.
Note: One reason for this preference is that some provider contracts may require the owner to pay providers on unearned income. For example, this makes sense for orthodontists who would otherwise remain unpaid when treatment is lengthy. Allowing unearned income to have a provider, even when Rigorous Paysplits is turned on, is how to accomplish this. When the unearned income is allocated to a procedure later, a negative paysplit will be made along with a positive paysplit to move the money to the procedure (allocate it). If the same provider was paid previously that has now completed the procedure(s), the net income for that provider due to the allocation is zero. If the provider is different, there will be negative income for one provider and positive for the other.
Allow negative production to be transferred as income: Determines whether unallocated, negative production (e.g. negative adjustments, procedures with a negative fee) can be transferred to patient income via an income transfer.
- Check: Allow negative production to be transferred to income. When the production becomes income, it is allocated to an outstanding charge as a patient payment. Checking this option will also allow the Income Transfer Manager, Transfer FIFO button to transfer income from overpaid production (patient overpayments) to other charges.
- Uncheck: Block income transfers when a family has unallocated, negative production. The production will need to be allocated before an income transfer can be complete, i.e. attach negative adjustments to procedures. Recommended for offices that pay providers based on collections.
Finance charge adj type: Select the adjustment type created for Finance Charges.
Billing charge adj type: Select the adjustment type created for Billing Charges.
Late charge adj type: Select the adjustment type created for Late Charges.
Payment Plan adj type: Set the negative adjustment type used when adding payment plan adjustments.
Sales Tax percentage: Set the sales tax percentage.
Sales Tax adj type: Select the default adjustment type for Sales Tax. Only addition adjustment types show as options. Customize adjustment type options in Definitions: Adj Types.
Sales Tax Default Provider: Determines the provider assigned to sales tax adjustments. Selecting 'None' will use the Practice default provider or if Clinics are enabled, will use the default provider of the clinic assigned to the procedure.
Automate Sales Tax: Determines whether sales tax adjustments are automatically created for completed procedures marked as Is Taxed.
- Checked: Automatically creates a sales tax adjustment for procedures marked as Is Taxed. The adjustment amount will be the percentage (set above) of the procedure fee. To set a procedure as taxable, see Procedure Code.
- Unchecked: Sales tax adjustments are not automatically created.
Bad Debt Adjustment Types: Mark specific adjustment types as Bad Debt (debts that won't be recovered). This data can be used in custom queries.
- Click Edit to view a list of available adjustment types.
- Highlight the adjustment types to mark as bad debt. Press Ctrl while clicking to select multiple options.
- Click OK. The bad debt adjustment types will list.
Currently selected bad debt adjustment types are highlighted in blue. Check Show hidden to reveal adjustment types marked as hidden.
Allocation options for Line Item Accounting that were previously in Account Module Preferences can be found here: Allocations Setup.
Show provider income transfer window after entering insurance payment:
- Checked: Automatically open the Payment window after entering Claim Payments so you can fine tune provider balances by transferring income.
- Unchecked: The Payments window will not automatically open.
Set medical claims to institutional when using medical insurance:
- Checked: The default ClaimType will be set to institutional when a medical claim is created.
- Unchecked: The default claim type will be set to medical when a medical claim is created.
Claim Form treating provider shows 'Signature On File' rather than name:
- Checked: If the provider also has Signature on File checked on the Provider, Signature on File will print in the TreatingDentistSignature field on the ADA 2012 and 2018 Claim Forms.
- Unchecked: If the provider also has Signature on File checked on the Edit Provider window, the provider's name will print in the TreatingDentistSignature field on the ADA claim form.
PPO write-off description (blank for "Write-off"): Determines the wording for insurance write-offs used in the Description column of Account module and on statements. The default will be Write-off if left blank.
Claim Attachment Export Path: Enter the path to the folder where images attached to a claim will be exported. See Claim.
On medical e-claims, send treating provider as ordering provider by default: Set the default ordering provider sent in medical e-claims. Also see E-Claims Complexities.
- Checked: The procedure's treating provider will be the default ordering provider.
- Unchecked: There will be no default ordering provider.
On e-claims, send treating provider info for each separate procedure: Only applies to e-claims. Paper claims have no place to include information for more than one treating provider. This option should be checked unless you have a very good reason for needing to not send information about treating providers.
Require ACN# in remarks on claims with ADDP group name: Claims created with group name ADDP will prompt for an ACN number. This was added for one specific customer, and can be ignored by most practices.
Allow procedure adjustments from Edit Claim window:
- Checked: Right click procedures on the Edit Claim window to add a procedure adjustment.
- Unchecked: The right click Add Adjustment option will not be available.
Payment exceeds procedure balance: Determines whether or not users are allowed, warned, or blocked from allocating an insurance payment that is greater than the procedure's remaining balance (procedure fee - payments - writeoffs + adjustments).
- Allow: Users can allocate an insurance payment that is greater than the procedure's remaining balance and will not be warned.
- Warn: Users can allocate an insurance payment that is greater than the procedure's remaining balance but will receive a warning.
- Block: Users will not be allowed to finalize insurance payments for insurance amounts that are greater than the procedure's remaining balance. They will receive a prompt detailing the balance but will not be allowed to proceed with the payment.
Allow future payments: Determines whether or not users are allowed to enter insurance payments with a future Payment Date.
- Checked: Create an insurance payment with a future payment date. Reports will not reflect this payment until the payment date.
- Uncheck: Prevent users from entering a payment with a future payment date. Users will be prompted with a warning message and they will not be able to finalize the payment until the date is changed.
- If either this preference or the preference for Allow future dated transactions are enabled, future dated insurance payments are allowed.
- If either this preference or the preference for Allow future dated transactions are disabled, future dated insurance payments are not allowed.
Claim Identification Prefix: Change the default format of the claim ID. This number is assigned to a claim using the prefix selected, then adding an auto-generated claim number. Useful for internal tracking of claims. Click Replacements to select a prefix.
Creating claims with $0 procedures: Determines whether users are allowed, warned, or blocked from creating claims with $0 procedures.
Note: Clicking New Claim with no procedures selected will skip unsent $0 procedures, regardless of this preference value.
- Allow: Users can create claims with $0 procedures.
- Warn: Users are prompted with a warning message when attempting to create a claim with $0 procedures. Click OK to create the claim or cancel to exit without creating a claim.
- Block: Users cannot create a claim with $0 procedures.
Exclude 'None' as an option on Custom Tracking Status: Determines whether None is an available status option in the Edit Claim - Status History Tab.
- Checked: Removes None from the status options. The tracking status will default to the first custom option in the list. Edit status options in Definitions: Claim Custom Tracking.
- Unchecked: None is the default status option.
Disallow write-offs greater than the adjusted procedure fee: Determines whether or not write-offs can be greater than the procedure fee (fee - adjustments).
- Checked (default): Prevent write-offs from exceeding the adjusted procedure fee.
- Unchecked: Allow write-offs that exceed charged fee after considering adjustments. May result in unintended credit on patient account.
Prompt for secondary claims: Determines how secondary insurance claims are handled.
- Checked: When primary claim is received, a popup will appear to determine how to handle outstanding secondary claim. Options will be to change claim status to Waiting to Send, send the secondary claim now, or the do nothing.
- Unchecked: When primary claim is received, a popup will remind the user a secondary claim is outstanding, but no options are presented.
Recalculate estimates for received claim procedures: Determines if estimates can be changed for a procedure that has been received.
- Checked: Allows users to recalculate estimates on received claim procedures.
- Unchecked: Does not allow users to recalculate estimates on received claim procedures.
Canadian PPO insurance plans create lab estimates: Determines if lab fee estimates should be created for PPO insurance plans.
- Checked: Lab fee estimates will be created for PPO insurance plans, visibile on claims.
- Unchecked: Lab fee estimates will not be created. Users will need to manually enter lab fees when receiving claims.
Note: This feature is only available for Canadian databases. See Canada Lab Fees
for more details.
Allow primary claim status to be 'Hold until Pri Received': Determines whether primary insurance claims can be manually marked as Hold until Pri Received.
- Checked (default): Show Hold until Pri Received in status dropdown on primary claims.
- Unchecked: Remove Hold until Pri Received status from dropdown on primary claims.
Show Payment Tracking column in the Edit Claim/Payment windows: Determine whether or not to display a Payment Tracking column in the Edit Claim window and Receive Claim window.
- Checked: Show the Payment Tracking column in the Edit Claim window and Receive Claim window.
- Unchecked: Do not show the Payment Tracking column in the Edit Claim window and Receive Claim window.
- Filled: By default, this preference is filled. When filled, Open Dental will use the default setting. The default setting for this preference is checked. Once this setting is changed, the filled option is removed.
Show Patient Responsibility column in Edit Claim/Payment windows: Determine whether or not to display a Patient Responsibility column in the Edit Claim window and Receive Claim window.
- Checked: Show the Patient Responsibility column in the Edit Claim window and Receive Claim window.
- Unchecked: Do not show the Patient Responsibility column in the Edit Claim window and Receive Claim window.
- Filled: By default, this preference is filled. When filled, Open Dental will use the default setting. The default setting for this preference is checked. Once this setting is changed, the filled option is removed. If this setting has not been changed from filled, the Patient Responsibility column will only show if you manually change this setting to checked, or uncheck the Payment Tracking column above.
Balances don't subtract insurance estimate: Be careful. This will cause estimated balances due to exclude estimated insurance payments. This is generally only used if your patients are responsible for all treatment as it is done, and you don't accept assignment of insurance benefits. All insurance payments then go directly to the patients without involving the dental office.
- Unchecked (default): Balance due in the Account module and statements will include estimated insurance payments. The captions in the Account module will be Total, InsEst, Est Bal (bold red), and Pat Est Bal.
- Checked: Balance due in the Account module and statements will exclude estimated insurance payments. The captions in the Account module will be Balance (bold red), Ins Pending, After Ins, Pat Est Bal.
Aging calculated monthly instead of daily:
- Unchecked (default): Aging is automatically calculated daily. This is the recommended setting.
- Checked: Aging must be manually updated using the Aging tool. The patient's account will be based on the last calculated date. The last calculated date will also be the default in the Aging of A/R report. We also recommend setting Global Security Lock Dates.
Show payment numbers in Account Module: This is needed for countries outside the U.S. and in Canada.
- Checked: Payment numbers will show in the payment description.
- Unchecked: Payment numbers will not show in the payment description.
Use UCR fee for billed fee even if PPO fee is higher: Set which fee is used as the billed fee when a PPO fee is higher than the UCR fees (PPO Insurance Plan only). Typically, if the PPO fee is higher than a provider's UCR fee, the PPO fee is used as the billed fee.
- Unchecked: For all PPO plan types, the PPO fee will be used as the billed fee if it is higher than the provider's UCR fee.
- Checked: For all PPO plan types, the UCR fee will be used as the billed fee, even if the PPO fee is higher.
Invoices' payments grid shows write-offs: Determines whether or not insurance write-offs are included in the Payments grid on invoices.
- Checked: Include insurance write-offs for procedures in the Payments grid.
- Unchecked: Do not include insurance write-offs.
Prompt user to allocate unearned income after creating a claim: Determines whether or not the user will be prompted to allocate unearned income to completed procedures when creating a claim.
- Checked: When a claim is created, the payment window will prompt the user to allocate unearned income to completed procedures (if there is unearned income not yet allocated).
- Uncheck: Prevents the payment window from prompting the user to allocate unearned income.
Allow future dated transactions: Determines whether transactions can be future dated.
- Checked: Allows future dating of transactions (e.g. insurance payments, adjustments, etc).
- Unchecked: Prevents future dating of transactions.
- If this preference is enabled, the Date of Agreement on Dynamic Payment Plans cannot be future dated.
- If this preference is enabled, Allow future payments and Allow future dated payments are allowed.
- If this preference is disabled, Allow future payments and Allow future dated payments are not allowed.
Transactions attached to procedure offset each other before aging: Determines whether credits attached to a procedure apply to the procedure's charges before aging.
- Filled: When filled, this preference uses the Open Dental default, which is unchecked. This preference is recommended to be checked. Click to change the preference to checked or unchecked.
- Checked: Adjustments and payment plan credits attached to a procedure are summed by date. If the sum of the attached charges and credits results in a credit, the credit is applied to the balance of the procedure's aging category. Any remaining credit is aged normally.
- Unchecked: Standard aging is applied. See Aging.
Payment Plans exclude past activity by default: Determines the default state for the Exclude Past Activity check box on the Payment Plan.
- Checked: The box is checked by default.
- Unchecked: The box is unchecked by default.
Pay Plans use Sheets: Determines whether printed payment plans will use the classic layout or a custom layout designed in sheets.
- Unchecked (default): Printed payment plans will use the classic format (not sheets).
- Checked: Printed payment plans will use the custom payment plan layout designed using sheets. A payment plan sheet can allow an electronic signatures. See Payment Plan Layout.
In eClipboard, save signed Payment Plans as PDF: Determines if Payment Plans signed within the eClipboard App are saved to the Imaging Module.
- Checked: Save signed payment plans to the Imaging Module in the category marked as Payment Plans.
- Unchecked: Do not save signed payment plans to the Imaging Module.
Pay Plan charge logic: Determines how charges and credits for Patient Payment Plans show in the patient account ledger and whether they affect balances, aging, and reports. This logic does not apply to insurance payment plans and will continue to use the old logic
- Do Not Age (Legacy): Payment plan debits (amounts due) and payments only show within the payment plan and will not affect balance or aging.
- Payment plan debits are totaled in the Payment Plans grid under Due Now.
- Payment plan payments do not show in the ledger but in the payment plan. Double-clicking the plan row is the only way to view payment plan payments.
- One payment plan credit (PayPln) will show as a single line item in the patient account ledger, thus reducing the total account balance by the amount. The credit amount is based on the Tx Completed Amt set in the payment plan.
- Other payment plan credits, debits, and payments do not show in the ledger nor do they affect balances or aging.
- The total A/R in the Aging of A/R report will not include payment plan due amounts.
- Only changes to the Tx Completed Amount affect aging and production and income reports.
- Payment plan amounts are not included on the Receivables Breakdown Report.
- Age Credits and Debits (Default): Payment plan debits, credits, and payments will show as line items in patient account ledger and affect balances and aging.
When the patient is in a different family than the payment plan guarantor, the behavior is as follows.
When the patient is in the same family as the payment plan guarantor, the behavior is as follows.
- Payment plan amounts due (PayPln: Debit) and credits (PayPln: Credit) show as line items in the patient account ledger.
- Payment plan payments show in the account ledger.
- Payment plan due amounts are included the patient's balance.
- Payment plan amounts due and payments are considered when calculating aging.
- Payment plan credits and debits are included on the Receivables Breakdown report.
- Changes made to historical payment plan charges will affect historical information (e.g. Aging of A/R, Production and Income reports).
- Payment plan amounts due (PayPln: Debit) show as line items in the guarantor's account ledger.
- Payment plan credits (PayPln: Credit) show as line items in the patient's account ledger.
- Payment plan payments show in the guarantor's account ledger.
- Payment plan due amounts are included in the guarantor's balance.
- Age Credits Only: Patients are credited for payment plans when the credit comes due, but debits all exist separately from the account ledger.
- Each payment plan credit line item will show in the account ledger, sorted by Tx Credit date.
- Payment plan amounts due only show in the Payment Plan grid. They do not show in the account ledger.
- Payment plan amounts due will not be considered when calculating balances and aging.
- Payment plan credits and debits will not be included on the Receivables Breakdown report.
- Changes made to historical payment plan credits will affect historical information (e.g. Aging of A/R, Production and Income reports).
- No Charges to Account (Rarely Used): Patients are not credited for payment plans so the account balance is aged normally.
- Payment plan amounts due only show in the Payment Plan grid. They do not show in the account ledger.
- Payments to payment plans show in ledger and payment plan.
- Payment plan amounts will not be included on the Receivables Breakdown report.
Hide "Due Now" in Payment Plans Grid: Determines whether the payment plan due now amount shows. This option is only available when the Pay Plan charge logic is set to Age Credits and Debits (default).
- Check: Hides the due now amount and replaces the "Due Now" column header with "Closed".
- Unchecked: Shows the due now amount.
Dynamic Pay Plan run time: Choose a time of day when the Open Dental Service will calculate charges for Dynamic Payment Plans.
Note: Offices also utilizing recurring charges with Dynamic Payment Plans, should schedule Dynamic Pay Plan run time in advance of recurring charges to ensure charges are posted prior to attempting payment.
Dynamic payment plan prepayment type: Set the default Unearned Type for prepayments to dynamic payment plan charges. Customize options in Definitions: PaySplit Unearned Types. Only unearned types marked as Do Not Show on Account are listed. Defaults to Payment Plan Prepay.
Payment Plan Terms and Conditions: The default terms and conditions that show on a payment plan. Requires Pay Plans use Sheets to be checked and the TermsAndConditions Output Text Field on the default payment plan sheet.
To customize the terms and conditions, click Edit.
This window supports Quick Paste Notes. Click Replacements to insert replacement fields that pull information from the patients' payment plan into the terms and conditions (fields in red are not supported).
Commlogs auto save: Determines whether or not Commlog entries save every ten seconds automatically after a change is made.
- Checked: Commlogs are auto-saved.
- Unchecked (default): Commlogs are not auto-saved.
Show family commlog entries by default: Determines whether family commlogs show by default. You must restart Open Dental on all workstations for this preference to take effect.
- Checked: The Show Family Comm Entries box in the Account Module, Show tab is checked by default.
- Unchecked: This box is not checked by default.
Recurring charges use primary provider: Determines to which provider Recurring Charge payments will be applied to if Paysplit allocations is set to Rigorous.
- Checked: Payments will be applied to the patient's primary provider.
- Unchecked: Payments will be applied to the provider that the family owes the most money to.
Recurring Charges use transaction date: Select how the payment date is determined when running recurring charges.
- Checked: Payments will use the transaction date (the date the recurring charge is run).
- Unchecked: Payments will use the date the charge is scheduled to be processed (see Authorize Recurring Charges).
Recurring charges show inactive charges by default: Determines the default setting for Show Inactive Charges in CC Recurring Charges.
- Checked: By default, the checkbox for Show Inactive Charges will be checked.
- Unchecked: By default, the checkbox for Show Inactive Charges will not be checked.
Recurring charges run automatically: Option to automate the recurring charge tool to run at a specific time during the day.
- Checked: Recurring charge tool will run automatically at a set time. Set the Recurring charges run time below.
- Unchecked: Disable the automatic run time to run the recurring charge tool manually.
Recurring charges run time: Set the time of day to automatically run the recurring charge tool. Use a 12-hour or 24-hour time format (include AM or PM).
Note: X-Web must be enabled for X-Charge users to use Recurring Charges.
Pay type for CC: Select a payment type to assign to credit card payments processed through the CC Recurring Charges tool. Selecting (default) will use the payment type assigned in the XCharge Setup, PayConnect Setup, and PaySimple Setup, payment settings. ACH recurring charges will use the type assigned in the Payment Type ACH dropdown of the PaySimple Setup window.
Allow recurring charges to run in the absence of a patient balance: Determines whether or not the Run charge even if no patient balance present check box is an available option in the Credit Card Edit window.
- Check: The check box will be available by default.
- Uncheck: The check box will not be available.
Automatically inactivate declined cards: Determines how declined cards are handled during Recurring Charges.
- Checked: When a card is declined during Recurring Charges, automatically inactive the card for future charges. Cards can be manually reactivated in the Edit Credit Card window.
- Unchecked: When a card is declined, do nothing. Attempt the card again the next time Recurring Charges is run.
- Filled: By default, this preference is filled. When filled, Open Dental will use the default setting. The default setting for this preference is unchecked. Once this setting is changed, the filled option is removed.
Repeating Charges in Show Features must be enabled to use these preferences.
Repeating charges runs aging after posting charges: Determines whether or not Aging is run after repeating charges are posted through the automated repeating charge service or repeating charges tool.
- Check: Aging is run automatically on accounts with newly posted repeating charges (checked by default).
- Uncheck: Prevent aging from running automatically after repeating charges have posted. To run aging using other methods, see Aging.
Repeating charges run automatically: Option to automate repeating charges to run at a specific time each day.
- Check: Repeating charges are posted automatically at a set time every day. Set the Repeating charges run time below.
- Uncheck: Disable the automatic run time to manually run the Repeating Charges tool.
Repeating charges run time: Set the time of day to automatically post repeating charges. Use a 12-hour or 24-hour time format and include AM or PM. The OpenDentalService must be installed and running during the scheduled run time.
Note: Offices also utilizing recurring charges with repeating charges, should schedule repeating charges run time in advance of recurring charges to ensure charges are posted prior to attempting payment.