In the Main Menu, click Setup, Chart, Chart Preferences.
Alternatively, click Setup, Module Preferences, Chart tab.
The following preferences determine functionality handled in the Chart Module.
Allow setting procedures complete: Determines whether or not users can set individual procedures complete. We recommend only allowing appointments to be set complete, not individual procedures.
- Checked: Users can set individual procedures in an appointment complete.
- Unchecked: Users can only set appointments as complete, not individual procedures.
Indicator that patient has no problems: For EHR users. Select the problem that will be used to indicate the patient has no problems. Usually linked to a problem called None. Problem List
Indicator that patient has no medications: For EHR users. Select the medication that will be used to indicate the patient has no medications. Usually linked to a medication called None. Medications List
Indicator that patient has no allergies: For EHR users. Select the allergy that will be used to indicate the patient has no allergies. Usually linked to an allergy called None. Allergy List
Use medical fee for new procedures: Determines which fee is used for new procedures when cross-coding medical codes to procedure codes. See Cross Code.
- Checked: The fee of the medical code associated with the procedure code will be used.
- Unchecked: The procedure code's fee will be used.
Use ICD-10 Diagnosis Codes (uncheck for ICD-9): Determines which ICD-10 Codes are used for procedures.
- Checked: Assign ICD-10 diagnosis codes to procedures.
- Unchecked: Assign ICD-9 diagnosis codes to procedures.
Default ICD-10 code for new procedures: Click [...] to select a default Diagnosis Code that will be attached to new procedures. This code will be the first code listed on the Procedure - Medical Tab. It is often used for medical insurance, especially eClinicalWorks. The code system (ICD-9 or ICD-10) is determined by the Use ICD-10 Diagnosis Codes preference above.
Note: Only ICD-10 Codes should be used on new claims. ICD-9 codes are available for historical purposes and should not be sent on new claims.
Procedure locking is allowed: Not used by most offices. See Procedure Lock.
- Checked: Allows users to permanently lock completed procedures.
- Unchecked: Procedure locking is not allowed.
Non-Patient warning: Determines if a warning message shows when a non-patient record is opened in the Chart module.
- Checked: When a patient with a NonPatient status is selected from the Chart module, a warning message will show. Set status on the Edit Patient Information window.
- Unchecked: A warning will not show.
Medication order default days until stop date (0 for no automatic stop date): Enter the default number of days from a medication order's start date to set the stop date.
Screenings use Sheets: Select whether Public Health Screening uses the classic format or a custom form designed in Sheets.
- Unchecked (default): Screenings will use the classic format (not Sheets).
- Checked: Screenings will use the custom screening form designed using Sheets. See Screening Layout.
Procedures Prompt for Auto Note: Determines whether prompts in an unanswered Auto Notes are triggered when a user reopens a completed procedure. The default note must contain an auto note (Procedure Code).
- Checked: When a user reopens a completed procedure, and an unanswered auto note is part of the default note, auto note prompts will show and allow a response.
- Unchecked: No auto note prompts will show when a user reopens a completed procedure.
Require use of suggested auto codes: Determines what options a user has when Auto Codes are triggered while entering treatment.
- Checked: User must accept the recommended procedure code change (Yes) or return to the Procedure Info window to change information manually (Edit Proc).
- Unchecked: User has the option to accept the recommended procedure code change (Yes) or proceed with a mismatch (No).
Allow estimates to be created for backdated completed procedures: Not recommended. Determines whether or not insurance estimates are created when a procedure is entered with a previous date (earlier than today) and an entry status of Complete. Typically only used by those regularly enter completed procedures for previous dates. To prevent accidental activation, a password prompt will display when enabling this option. The password is abracadabra.
- Checked: Insurance estimates will be created when a procedure is entered with a previous date (earlier than today) and an entry status of Complete.
- Unchecked: Insurance estimates are not created when a procedures is entered with a previous date and an entry status of Complete.
Allow digital signatures: Determines whether or not procedure notes can be signed using an electronic signature stamp.
- Checked: Procedure notes can be signed using an electronic signature stamp. An E will show in the signature box on the Procedure.
- Unchecked: E will not show in the signature box.
Procedure fee update behavior: Determines the prompt and behavior when changing the provider on a procedure. Determines if changing the provider will also change the procedure fees when they are different, and if a prompt will appear.
- No prompt, don't change fees:(default) Procedure fees will not change and no prompt will appear.
- No prompt, always change fee: Procedure fees will change without a prompt.
- Prompt - When patient portion changes: Procedure fees will change and a prompt will appear when the fee change affects the patient portion. Click Yes to update the fee.
- Prompt - Always: A prompt will appear whenever procedure fees change. Click Yes to update the fee.
Do not allow different procedure and claim procedure providers when attached to a claim: Determines whether or not changing the provider on a procedure will also change the provider on attached Claim Procedures ( claimprocs ) that are attached to a claim. Most users will leave this checked to prevent provider mismatches. See Claimproc Provider for additional workflow instructions.
- Checked: When you change the provider on the Edit Procedure window, providers on attached claim procedures will change to match, as long as the claim procedure Status is not received or supplemental.
- Unchecked: When you change the provider on the Edit Procedure window, providers on attached claim procedures will not change.
Note: Claim procedures not attached to a claim (e.g. for insurance estimates) always inherit the procedure provider.
Rx use selected clinic from Clinics menu instead of the selected patient's default clinic: When checked, will use the current user's selected clinic rather than the clinic assigned to the patient.
OpenDentalService alerts for schedule non-CPOE radiology procedures: See EHR Radiology Order List.
- Checked: Alerts user when there are non-CPOE radiology procedures treatment planned.
- Unchecked: Does not alert user when there are non-CPOE radiology procedure treatment planned.
Prompt for Planned Appointment: Determines whether or not a user is prompted to create a planned appointment when a patient has procedures that were treatment planned today.
- Checked: Prompts user to create a planned appointment using the highest priority non-diagnostic/preventive procedures when the patient has procedures that were treatment planned or scheduled to be completed today. The user will not be prompted if the patient has any future non-diagnostic/preventive appointments. Prompt occurs when changing modules.
- Unchecked: Does not prompt to create a planned appointment.
Reset entry status to 'TreatPlan' when switching patients: Set the default setting for Entry Status on the Enter Treatment when you switch patients. Usually, treatment is entered with TreatPlan status. If you change the status to enter existing treatment, it's easy to forget to set the status back to TP.
- Checked: Automatically sets the default Entry Status to TreatPlan every time you switch patients.
- Unchecked: The setting will not automatically change. The automatic behavior can be annoying for offices that prefer to enter completed procedures directly from the Chart module without also entering appointments.
Tooth Nomenclature: Select the tooth numbering system to display on the Graphical Tooth Chart and in reports. Open Dental supports 4 different tooth numbering systems:
- Universal (Common in the United States, 1-32): Valid tooth numbers are 1-32 and A-T. For supernumerary teeth, valid values are 51-82 and AS-TS. Permanent supernumerary tooth numbers add 50 to the tooth number (tooth 1 = 51). Primary supernumerary tooth numbers add an S (tooth A = AS). Procedures for supernumerary teeth do not show on the Graphical Tooth Chart, but they do get billed to insurance. Also see Supernumerary Teeth.
- FDI Notation (International, 11-48), 51-85 for primary teeth: For Canadian users, supernumerary teeth can be entered as 99.
- Haderup (Danish)
- Palmer (Ortho)
Note: These numbering systems do not change how any data is stored in the database. You can freely switch back and forth between the different systems.
Procedure Group Notes aggregate: Determines what happens when Procedure Group Note are created for two or more procedures.
- Checked: When a group note is created for two or more procedures that also have procedure notes, all notes will be combined into one group note.
- Unchecked: Notes will not be combined.
Use provider color in chart: Determines what setting the background color for completed procedures in the Chart module, Progress Notes is based on.
- Checked: Background color of completed procedures will be based on the provider's Appointment Color (set on the Provider).
- Unchecked: Background color of completed procedures will be white, unless the procedure is today, in which case the background color is determined by the setting in Definitions: Misc Colors, Chart Today's Procs.
Perio exams always skip missing teeth: Determines the behavior for teeth marked missing when using the Perio Chart.
- Checked: When a new perio chart exam is created, any new missing teeth are automatically marked as skipped teeth.
- Unchecked: Only the first perio chart exam will automatically mark missing teeth as skipped. Subsequent exams will not.
Perio exams treat implants as not missing: Determines if teeth with implant procedure codes (paint type of implant) are considered as missing in the perio chart. Missing status may affect whether the tooth is skipped or not (see preference above).
- Checked: Teeth with implants are not considered missing.
- Unchecked: Teeth with implants are considered missing.
Procedure Code List sort: Choose a default sort option for the Procedure Codes List.
Procedure notes merge together when concurrency issues occur: Determines how notes are handled when edited at the same time by multiple users.
- Checked: If the same procedure note is edited by two or more users at the same time, each note will display.
- Unchecked: Only the notes from the last edit display. Any notes overwritten can still be viewed when the Chart Module is in Audit mode.
Notes can only be signed by providers: Determines if notes can be signed by providers only or all users.
- Checked: Notes can only be signed by users who have a provider associated. See User Edit.
- Unchecked: All users have the ability to sign a note.