In the Account Module, click Payment Plan, Patient Payment Plan.
A patient can have multiple payment plans and each plan can have a different guarantor. The responsibility for the payment always falls to the guarantor of the plan.
To create a patient payment plan:
- Select the patient. In the Account module, click the Payment Plan dropdown, then Patient Payment Plan.
The Payment Plan Window will open.
- Category: Select a payment plan category (optional). Useful to distinguish one payment plan from another when families have many plans. Customize category options in Definitions: Payment Plan Categories.
- Guarantor: Verify the guarantor of the payment plan. It defaults to the guarantor of the family. Click Change to choose someone different. All charges will be posted to the guarantor.
- Provider: Verify the provider. Click the dropdown to change.
- Clinic: Verify the clinic. Click the dropdown to change.
- View Tx Credits: Click to attach the procedure charges the payment plan is for. Credits will be created for each charge that determine how much will be subtracted from the patient's balance. Select completed or treatment planned procedures with a patient portion due from the Payment Plan Procedures and Credits window. You can also create credits not associated to procedures but we recommend attaching procedures so payment split allocations to payment plans are accurate.
To attach a credit associated with a procedure:
- Highlight the procedure. Its details will populate the Credit Information fields.
- Make any needed changes.
- Click Add.
To attach an unattached credit:
- Click Clear to deselect all items.
- Enter the credit information (date, credit amount, and any notes).
- Click Add.
When all credits are applied, click OK to close the window.
- If a procedure's provider is different than the payment plan's provider, Open Dental will warn you. If you proceed (click Yes) the payment plan provider will be assigned to the payplan charges, however, future payment splits will be allocated to the procedure provider when the Enforce Valid Paysplits Account Module Preferences is set to something other than Don't Enforce. Income transfers may also be incorrect. See Payment Plan Q and A.
- If the Total Amount on the Payment Plan window doe not match the Total Tx Amt, you will be prompted to change the Total Amount to match. Click Yes to update the Total Amount. Click No to leave it as is.
- Terms: Verify and select the terms of the payment plan (Total Amount, Date of First Payment, Down Payment, APR, number of payments OR a fixed payment amount). Click More Options to select the frequency of payments (e.g. monthly, weekly, etc.).
- Click Create Schedule to create a amortization schedule based on the terms. The Note field will populate with the terms.
- Click OK to save the payment plan. The Tx Completed Amt will determine the credit amount applied to the account. Only completed procedure credits and unattached credits are included in the Tx Completed Amt. Once treatment planned procedures are completed, they are automatically applied to the Tx Completed Amt and credited to the patient's balance.
Also see Sign and Print Payment Plan.