When Perio Chart, once a perio exam has been added (Add Perio Exam), you can begin recording measurements. Data is automatically saved. To record measurements using voice commands, see Voice Perio Charting.
For a description of each field, see Perio Chart.
By default, the perio chart auto-advances starting on the patient's right side and going left. It follows this path:
- 1-16 buccal
- 16-1 lingual
- 32-17 buccal
- 17-32 lingual
You can temporarily change the direction of the path by selecting the Right or Left radio buttons in the upper right corner. This would allow you to follow the path of your choice. When following a different path, you will have to choose the correct starting point and direction each time you switch from buccal to lingual or vice versa.
Types of rows:
- Probing: Each dated exam shows on its own row.
- Mobility: Only shows on the buccal. Only allowed one number for each tooth in the middle cell. There is no mechanism yet to show +.
- Furcation: Enter 0-3. Earlier versions will show a V or a triangle instead of the numbers.
- auto CAL: Clinical Attachment Loss is auto calculated as Probing + Gingival Margin. Users are not allowed to edit.
- Gingival Margin: Gingival margins are implied negative values (recession). When the gingival margin is coronal to the CEJ, a + number can be charted.
- Mucogingival Junction: This can be charted on the facial of the maxillary, and facial and lingual of the mandibular.
Number Entry: For all measurements except gingival margins, press the numbers on your keyboard, or use the keypad on the screen.
- On the keypad: For numbers greater than 9, click 10 button followed by the second digit (10 + 9 = 19)
- On your keyboard: For numbers greater than 9, press Ctrl + the second number (Ctrl + 3 = 13). Backspace and Delete work as normal.
- A string of alphanumeric characters entered in a different text editor can also be copied into the grid (e.g. 1B1211C22S...).
Ging Marg:When the gingival margin is coronal to the CEJ, it can be represented with a +. There are two ways to enter a positive (+) measurement:
- Check the Ging Marg box, enter the positive value(s) using the keypad or keyboard, then uncheck the box.
- On your keyboard, press Ctrl + the number (Ctrl + 3 = +3).
Plaque, Calculus, Bleeding, and Suppuration: These are entered on the same rows as the probing depths. They show as colored dots above each probing number. There is room for all four colored dots to show. You can enter as you chart probing depths or separately. If entering at the same time as the probing depths, enter the probing depth first (e.g. 5-bleeding). When you enter the probing depth, you will automatically advance to the next cell, but if the cell is empty, the program knows to enter the item on the previous probing entry. Customize colors for each by clicking the color boxes on the right.
There are two ways to enter:
- Keyboard keys: Plaque = p, Calculus = c, Bleeding = b or space, Suppuration = s.
- Click the corresponding button.
- The perio exam will never start on a tooth marked missing.
- Missing teeth that will be skipped are indicated with a gray background, but you can still record measurements if you wish.
- Skipped teeth are automatically skipped during auto advance.
- Skipped teeth are stored with individual perio exams, so each exam can have different teeth skipped.
- Teeth marked skip in a previous exam are automatically marked skip in the next exam.
- To manually mark teeth as skip, select the teeth then click SkipTeeth. To unmark a tooth as skip, select the tooth then click SkipTeeth again.