In the Mass Email Setup window, click Manual Mass Email.
Mass Emails is an eService that allows users to send an email to a selected list of patients at once. Activate Mass Email in eServices Setup.
- Create an email template ahead of time. This gives you time to customize, edit, and review the template before sending it out.
- Select the list of patients to send to. Use the filters to help customize the list.
- Once you have the patient list, select the template you created.
- Preview the email, then send the mass email.
- Use analytics to track sent emails. See how many were opened, how many failed, and more.
The following items show regardless of the selected tab:
- # of Patients: Number of patients selected for the mass email.
- Send Emails: When the patients and template have been selected, click to send the mass email.
- Emails are sent using firstname.lastname@example.org. If an office uses an alias for their email, the alias will still display on outgoing mass emails, but the sender is still email@example.com.
Use the Patients tab to filter patients and create a list of patients to send to.
- Preferred Contact Method: Filter by preferred contact method. See Edit Patient Information.
- Any: Patient has any method set as preferred contact method.
- Email: Patient has email set as preferred contact method.
- None: Patient does not have a preferred contact method set.
- Patient Status: Filter by patient status. Options include:
- Patient Billing Type: Filter by Billing Type.
- Exclude patients who received a mass email: Check to exclude patients who recently received a mass email.
- In the last __ days: Enter the number of days to exclude patients if they received another mass email in that time frame.
- Hide patients with future appointments: Filter patients who have a scheduled appointment.
- Exclude patients not seen since: Check to exclude patients who have not been seen since the entered date.
- Exclude patients seen since: Check to exclude patients who have been seen since the entered date.
- Patient Age: Enter the age range. The default is 1 to 110.
- Clinic: Filter by patients assigned to the selected clinic. Select All to show all patients. If the selected clinic does not have Mass Emails activated, the Select All and Send Emails buttons will be grayed out.
Once patients are filtered, select patients to move to the Selected Patients list.
- Select patients one-by-one, or use Cntrl+Click to select multiple, then use the Left and Right arrows to move them.
- Click Select All to highlight all patients, then use the Left and Right arrows to move them.
Email messages are first created as a template, then sent to the selected patients.
Open Dental has included some templates as a default. All templates can be edited and are HTML capable.
- New Template: Create a new email template. See below for details.
- Import: Import an html file to use.
- Edit Template: Edit the currently selected template.
- Delete: Delete the currently selected template.
- Copy: Make a copy of the currently selected template.
Click New Template to add a new email template, or click Edit Template to edit an existing template. The Mass Email Template window will open.
- Template Name: Enter the name of the template.
- Subject: Enter the subject as seen in the recipients inbox. Use Subject Fields to insert data (e.g. patient name or office information).
- Plain Text Body: Enter the email as plain text. Do this before adding HTML. Enter Body Fields to insert data (e.g. patient name or office information).
- Edit HTML Body: After the Plain Body Text has been added, click to add HTML to the email. See HTML Email.
- If attaching Images to the HTML email, they must be no more than 500kb in size. Images can be in .bmp,. cur, .gif, .jfif, .jpeg, .jpg, .ico, .pjp, .pjpeg, .png, .svg.
- Save: Click to save the template. Saved templates can be edited later on.
Sending Mass Emails
When the patients and template are selected, click Send Emails.
By default, fields will not display with replacements (e.g. practice name, patient name, etc). Select a patient to view an example of the email.
- Display rendering with replaced data: First select a patient, then check this box to display the example.
- Select Patient [...] : Click to open the Select Patient window. Select a patient from the list to show as the example.
Once you have reviewed the email and are ready to send:
- Click Send Emails. The following prompt will appear. Click Yes to continue, or No to cancel.
- Name the email group. This helps with tracking analytics later on.
- A message will appear confirming the emails have been sent. Click OK to finish.
Note: Prior to sending mass email, Open Dental checks patients email addresses to ensure they are valid. If they are not, the email will fail, however the email will still be commlogged on the patient account.