This information is for advanced IT users only. If you need assistance with any of these steps, something does not go as expected, or you have errors, please Contact Open Dental support. Follow these steps to migrate Open Dental to a new server.
Required Steps Before You Begin
- Verify what version of MySQL you are running. When migrating, the same MySQL version will need to be on the new server as the old server. See the How to Determine your Current MySQL Version section on MySQL.
- If your MySQL Version is 5.6, you will first install 5.5 using the Open Dental Trial installer, then continue with the MySQL Upgrade to 5.6.
eService users will need to disable the eConnector on the old server, and reinstall it to the new server.
HL7 users should contact Open Dental support to schedule a server migration.
Make a backup of your original OpenDentImages folder (usually found at c:\OpenDentImages) and your database (usually found at c:\mysql\data and in a directory named opendental). See Backup Tool or Manual Backups.
Note: If your database structure is InnoDB, backup the entire data folder. Also have a backup copy of the my.ini file, usually located in C:\Program Files (x86)\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.5.
Migrate to a New Server
On the Old Server
- Stop the MySQL Service and the OpenDentalService.
- Disable the MySQL service and OpenDentalService to make sure workstations no longer point to the older server.
- Change the Startup Type from Automatic to Disabled then click OK.
- Rename the OpenDentImages folder (e.g. "OpenDentImages_old_date"). This stops the sharing of the folder, which will prevent any workstations from accidentally storing images to the old location.
- Disable Port 3306 in Windows Firewall.
On the New Server
- Download the Trial Version.
If using MySQL, install the MySQL Trial Installer found at the bottom of the Trial Version page, under Troubleshooting.
- If your old server had MySQL 5.6, upgrade to MySQL 5.6 on the new server. Otherwise skip to the next step.
- Stop the MySQL Service.
- Put the copy of the database on the new server into the MySQL folder.
- The database is usually found at c:\mysql\data.
- Start the MySQL Service.
- Share, and set full access on the newly-created OpenDentImages folder.
- Usually at c:\OpenDentImages.
- Put the copy of the OpenDentImages folder you have migrated from the old server into the same directory as newly-created OpenDentImages folder, merging the folders.
- From within the OpenDentImages folder, right-click on setup.exe, then Run as administrator to install Open Dental.
- Once the installation is complete, open Open Dental (Run as administrator) and enter the new Server Name. Alternatively, it can be left as localhost. If needed, also enter MySQL user and password. See MySQL Security.
- Update the path to the OpenDentImage Folder.
- If the Data Paths window opens (Paths), make sure the paths point to the new server
- If it does not open, in Open Dental, click Setup, Data Paths to ensure the paths point to the new server.
- Open Port 3306 in Windows Firewall.
- Install the Open Dental Service. Many features in Open Dental utilize this service.
On Each Workstation
- Start Open Dental (Run as administrator).
- On the Choose Database window, enter the new server name.