Open Dental is easy to use, and you may start using it right away, but it may take a few weeks to understand all of the basic features well. Advanced planning is essential. The following training resources are available to help you.
Webinars are free online tutorials that cover a variety of topics and are made available to all users.
We offer periodic live webinars that cover the basics of Open Dental, including a review of each module and typical patient flow. Pre-registration is required.
Pre-recorded webinars are available online to review at your convenience. A list of recommended topics is provided on our Webinars page. A full playlist of tutorials can be found on our Youtube channel.
Customers on support and those who have scheduled a final conversion may purchase online training with a certified Open Dental trainer. For costs, see Fees for Software, Support, Services.
There are three types of online training:
- Basics - This training includes the same content as the Basics Webinar mentioned above, but the trainer is dedicated only to your office for the duration of the training. The training thoroughly covers patient flow and basic functionality. Basics trainings can be one-on-one or with multiple members of your staff.
- Q&A - This training dedicates time with an Open Dental trainer who will answer a list of questions generated by your office. We recommend sending your questions to us ahead of time so we can organize the session according to your needs. Q&A trainings can be one-on-one or with multiple members of your staff.
- Post-Conversion - This training is highly recommended for offices who have recently converted to Open Dental. Post-Conversion trainings ease the process of acclimating to the software and ensure proper setup which prevents costly mistakes. See our Post-Conversion Checklist for a list of steps that must be completed following a conversion.
Customers on support and those who have scheduled a final conversion may purchase customized on-site trainings. For costs, see Fees for Software, Support, Services.
An on-site training by a certified Open Dental trainer can help your entire staff quickly gain proficiency. This is especially valuable for offices who are new to practice management software, larger practices with complex setups, and busy practices with a short ramp-up schedule.
The following steps are required for offices planning an on-site training:
- Contact us at least two weeks in advanced of desired dates as trainer availability may vary.
- Designate a point of contact for your office.
- If converting, schedule a data conversion. Conversions must be completed prior to the on-site training.
- If converting, schedule and complete a post-conversion training. This is required prior to the on-site training.
- Discuss and confirm the training plan with the Open Dental trainer.
- Have Open Dental installed and accessible on all workstations. See our blog post: Installing Open Dental on Workstations.
- Discuss any additional expectations with the Open Dental trainer.
- When on-site training day arrives, enjoy your training!
Additional Tools and Resources
- Refer to the Online Manual. The following pages are a good place to start.
- Call us by phone or use our chat portal (included with support plan).
- Practice using the Trial Version.
- Visit our User Forum.