EHR Objective 5: Health Information Exchange
This information applies to EHR Modified Stage 2 for Program Years 2015 to 2018. For current information, see:
Measure: Providers that transition or refer patients to another provider or setting of care must:
- Create a summary of care using Open Dental
- Electronically transmit the summary of care to a receiving provider for more than 10% of transitions of care and referrals.
Yes. If provider has less than 100 referrals to another provider during the reporting period.
2017 Spec Sheet (PDF)
2018 Spec Sheet (PDF)
- Denominator: Number of outgoing Referrals TO another provider (must be a doctor) during the reporting period.
- Numerator: Number of referrals in the denominator to whom a summary of care was provided (printed, by Email, or exported). Creating a referral automatically provides a summary of care to the patient portal and affects the numerator.
- Denominator: Number of outgoing referrals TO another provider (must be a doctor) during the reporting period.
- Numerator: Referrals in the denominator to whom a summary of care was sent electronically (by Email or exported).
Part 2, electronic transmission, requires setting up a secure way to send summaries of care. You have two options:
- Send directly from Open Dental using Encrypted Email. This requires obtaining, installing, and sharing email security certificates.
- Contract with a Health Information Service Provider (HISP) to perform authentication, encryption, and trust verification on your behalf. You can then export summaries of care and use the HISP to send securely.
Summaries of Care