Open Dental Installation requires Microsoft .NET. If you run Windows updates regularly, your computers should already have the required files installed. Newer versions of Windows come with .NET installed.
Two versions of Microsoft .NET are required. The minimum version requirements are as follows:
- Open Dental 18.2 and greater: .NET 4.5.2 and 3.5.
- Open Dental 16.3 and greater: .NET 4.5 and 3.5.
- Open Dental 16.2 and earlier: .NET 4.0 and 3.5.
- Open Dental version 16.3 and greater requires .NET 4.5. It is installed automatically in Windows 8 and 10.
- .NET 4.5 replaces version 4.0, and similarly 4.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, and 4.6.2 replace .NET 4.5. This means they use the same runtime version, but the assembly versions are updated and include new types and members. After you install one of these updates, Open Dental should continue to run and 4.0 does not need to be reinstalled. However, 3.5 is still needed and you may need to manually turn it on in the Control Panel (Programs and Features, Turn Windows features on or off, check .NET 3.5). https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb822049(v=vs.110).aspx
- .NET 4.0 does not include 3.5. Both will run side by side.
- .NET 3.5 includes 2.0.
.NET 4.5.2 (link to Microsoft website)
.NET 4.5 (link to Microsoft website)
.NET 3.5 (.exe)
,NET 4.0 (.exe)
Repair Tool: Sometimes the installation must be repaired. See http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135 to download the Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool.