When Open Dental starts, if the user Security is properly setup, the Log On window should open.
To protect data and prevent misuse, every user should be required to log on with a unique user name and password, then log off when they leave the workstation. See Security to set up user profiles and assign permissions.
- If you are not prompted to log on when you start the program, an Admin user does not have a password setup, thus all users are logging in automatically as the Admin.
- If a user's current password does not meet password criteria, they may be required to create a new password that does.
- To force a user to change their password the first time they use it to login, check Require Password Reset when setting up the User Edit.
- After five consecutive failed attempts to log on, a user will temporarily be locked out of the account for five minutes or until a user with Security Admin privileges manually unlocks the account. See Unlock Account.
- The screen differs based on whether the setting for Manually enter logon credentials is on or off. If on, the user will need to manually type their username and password.
To log off manually, in the main menu, click Log Off. A message will appear, warning that you are about to be logged off of Open Dental.
To disable the Log Off message, check the box for Do not show me this message again. This setting is independent for each user.
To reinstate the Log Off message for a user, see User Settings.
- Set automatic log off options in Global Security Settings.
- If you log off and there are unsaved changes, a warning message will show. If automatic log off is turned on, and you manually click Log Off, any unsaved changes will be lost, and no warning message will show.