Installation on a Workstation
If you will use Open Dental on multiple computers, the install process for workstations differs from the server installation process. Individual workstations do not need MySQL components, A to Z folders (OpenDentImages or OpenDentalData folder), or databases installed. Instead, follow the steps below.
Step 1: On the server, Update to the Full Version of Open Dental and perform required setup.
Step 2: Install the same version of Open Dental on each workstation, but follow these steps:
- Install the dot Net framework. On newer computers, this will already be installed. If you are unsure, you can install because it will cause no harm.
- Install the Open Dental program only.
- Browse the network and open the folder on the server called OpenDentImages (sometimes called OpenDentData folder). This is where the A to Z folders are stored.
- Locate the Setup.exe file.
- Right click on the file and select "Run as Administrator." If this option is not available, double click on the file to run.
- When installation is complete, change the Tooth Chart graphics preference on each workstation if desired. Go to Open Dental's Main Menu, click File, Graphics, then change the preference to Direct X or Open GL.
Trial Version Installations
If you are using the Trial version on the server and have never Updated, there will be no setup.exe file. To install the trial version to a workstation, follow the Trial Version instructions, except select Workstation on the Open Dental Installer window.
Webinar: Installing the Open Dental Trial.
Remember that you don't need to
install MySQL again. It's confusing to have MySQL installed
on multiple computers, and you run the risk of accidentally having
two separate databases, or accidentally saving data to the wrong location.
Refer to Welcome to Open Dental for useful information and resources to help you get started.