Questions & Answers about Patient Payment Plans
Below are some questions and answers about Patient Payment Plans.
Pay Plan Logic
Payment Plan Adjustments
Payments to Payment Plans
Pay Plan Logic Q & A
Q: I am considering transitioning to AgedDebitsandCredits logic. What do I need to know?
A: When you first transition, patient account balances will change:
- The account balance for any patient with a patient payment plan will change by the payment plan amount currently due.
- The Family Aging amounts will include patient payment plan charges currently due.
- The total A/R in the Aging of A/R report will change.
Q: How can I see the difference between Do not age Payment Plan logic and AgedCreditandDebits logic in the Aging of A/R Report amounts?
- With Do not age Payment Plans selected:
- Run the Aging of A/R report (Check 'Include Negative Balances').
- Run the Payment Plan Report.
Select Patient as the Payment Plan Type. Uncheck "Hide Completed Payment Plans" and "Limit to Plans Created in Date Range." The Due Now column will indicate the total payment plan amount due.
- With AgedCreditsandDebits selected, run the Aging of A/R report again (Check 'Include Negative Balances).
The Total column from the report in step 1 (traditional) + the Due Now amount from the Payment Plan report will equal the Total column from report in step 2 (agedcreditsanddebits).
Q: How do payment plans affect billing?
A: Payment plan amounts due are included when you run Billing. The due date is based on setting in in Manage Module Preferences for "Days in advance to bill payment plans amounts due". The Pay Plan Logic determines whether or not the payment plan amount due is added to the total amount due on the statement.
Payment Plan Adjustments
Q: I have already set up a payment plan for a patient, but now want to add an adjustment (e.g. for a courtesy discount). How do I edit the payment plan to reflect the discount?
- Add the adjustment to the patient's account. Adjustments
- Open the patient's payment plan.
- Click view Tx Credits.
- Add a negative credit amount.
- Enter the date of the adjustment.
- Enter the amount of the discount (e.g. -20).
- If desired, add a note (e.g. courtesy discount).
- Click Update.
- Click OK.
- On the Patient Payment Plan window, click Recalculate to update the amortization schedule, then click OK.
- Click OK to close.
Payment Plan Payments
Q: I attached a payment to a payment plan by mistake. How do I detach it?
A: For each pay split in the payment, detach the payment plan:
- Open the payment.
- Double click on a Payment Split.
- Uncheck the Attached to Payment Plan box.
- Click OK to save.
Q: The patient wants to pay off the payment plan. How do I determine how much is owed?
A: The Balance column in the main Payment Plan grid shows the amount that will pay off the payment plan at that exact moment.
However, it does not account for any mismatches between Tx Completed Amt and the PrincPaid amount, so closing a payment plan may incur a charge that is different than the Balance.