For Canada users, claims can be submitted electronically through the ITRANS clearinghouse.
There are three steps to using ITRANS.
- Install provider certificates.
- Install ITRANS (iCA service).
- Set up the ITRANS clearinghouse in Open Dental.
- You must be a member of the CDA to use ITRANS.
- ITRANS users can update to ITRANS 2.0 by contacting Open Dental support.
Install Provider Certificates
Certificates (Digital ID's) are required to submit claims electronically.
See CDA Digital IDs for installation instructions.
Install ITRANS (iCA Service)
The following instructions are for ITRANS 220.127.116.11.
- On the Admin Windows account of your server, install the latest version of ITRANS from http://www.goitrans.com/itrans-support-downloads/
- Click Windows iCA Version 18.104.22.168. The download will automatically begin.
- Open the downloaded file location, right click the iCA Setup and select Run as admininstrator.
- Click Next.
- Check the radio button for I accept the terms in the license agreement, then click Next.
- Take note of the information. When ready click Next.
- Click Next.
- Click Next.
- Select Service as the setup type, then click Next.
- Enter the Service User Account (typically named CDANetUser). Then enter the password and click Validate.
Note: Ensure the domain, user, and password are entered correctly or the service will not install. If not on a domain, enter the server name instead.
- Click Install. A status bar will show as the program features are installed.
- When installation is complete, a window will notify you. Click Finish.
- Share the iCA folder on the network (usually C:/iCA) and set the full control option for the everyone user under the permission section and security section.
Set the ITRANS Clearinghouse
Setup the ITRANS clearinghouse to enable ITRANS claim submission.
In the Main Menu, click Setup, Family/Insurance, Clearinghouses. Double-click on ITRANS.
- Set the Claim Export Path. Typically this is \\ServerName\iCA. This directory must be shared on the network and the everyone user should have full control under the permission section and security section.
- Ensure Use Claim Export Path is checked. When checked, sent claims will be saved to this path.
- Set the Launch Client Program. Typically this is \\ServerName\iCA\iCA.exe. You must enter a path to an exe because the field is required. However, the path will not be used to launch ITRANS.
- Set your Explanation of benefits (EOB) options.
- Do Not Download EOBs: Do not automatically download EOBs.
- Download EOBs, Do Not Auto Receive: Automatically download EOBs, but do not automatically receive claim procedures.
- Download EOBs and Auto Receive: Automatically download EOBs and receive claim procedures using the information provided by the carrier.
Technical Details of Upload
Files being sent from Open Dental to ITRANS will be named input.### (i.e. input.000, input.001, etc...) and will be placed in the C:\iCA folder on the server by default. To prevent the iCAService from processing input before the input file is finished writing, a temp file is first written in format tempinput.###, then the file is renamed to input.###. File names are cycled through until they reach 999 and then start over at 000. The purpose of the file name incrementing is to prevent transactions of different client machines from colliding while they are being adjudicated. The iCAService first renames the input.### file to _nput.### to prevent the file from being processed more than once. The iCAService then sends the _nput.### file data via a secure SSL connection to ITRANS. The reply comes back in under two minutes as output.### in the same folder. The output.### file is immediately imported into Open Dental, then the output.### and _nput.### files are deleted by Open Dental. If for some reason, you choose to use a different folder to send and receive messages, you must copy ack.tmp and msg.tmp into the new folder. Those two files are used by iCA.
ITRANS certificate expiring: If you receive a notice that your ITRANS certificate is expiring, it must be replaced with CDA Digital IDs and the ITRANS software (iCA) must be upgraded.
RAMQ: ITRANS is not capable of submitting to RAMQ insurance, therefore Open Dental cannot submit claims to RAMQ at this time.
Alberta Blue Cross (ABC): Versions of iTrans prior to version 4 did not allow for sending electronic claims to ABC. To send claims to ABC, go to Setup, Family / Insurance, Clearinghouses. Double click on Claimstream and remove the payor ID from the bottom.