The Provider List contains the profiles of doctors and hygienists in your practice.
In the Main Menu, click Lists, Providers.
Create providers and enter provider information (ID numbers, provider defaults, appointment colors, etc.) You can also create security user profiles and move patients from one provider to another.
All providers set up are listed, as well as their user name and how many patients for whom they are the primary (PriPats) or secondary (SecPats) provider. The sort order matches the order in which providers show in various lists throughout the program.
- To view providers that have been marked Hidden on the Provider, check Show Hidden.
- To view providers that were removed during a Provider Merge, check Show Deleted. The deleted providers will be highlighted red and their information can be viewed but not edited.
- If using Dental Schools, additional dental school instructor, student, and provider information shows. See Dental School Providers.
Add or Edit Provider Information
- Click Add or double click an existing provider to edit.
- Enter the provider information. See Provider for an explanation of all options.
- Click OK to save.
Note: Providers cannot be deleted. Instead mark them hidden on the Edit Provider window. This will remove them as a selection option.
Assign User Group and Create User Names
Quickly assign a provider to a security user group user group and create a user name and a temporary password. The Security Admin security permission is required. The user name and password will be the provider's last name plus first initial (e.g. SmithJ).
- Select the provider.
- Under Create Users, select the User Group.
- Click Create.
Providers should log in and change their password to something only they know. If using Clinics, see User Edit to set a default clinic or restrict a user to clinics.
Change or remove providers for a group of patients. The Security Admin security permission is required. A provider's total number of patients is indicated in the Providers grid.
- PriPats: The number of patients for which the provider is selected as the primary provider.
- SecPats: The number of patients for which the provider is selected as the secondary provider.
Change primary provider for a group of patients: The Patient Primary Provider Edit permission is also required.
- Highlight the current primary provider.
- Under Move Patients, click [...]. Select the new primary provider and click OK.
- Click Move Pri.
- Click OK to confirm the move. The patients will now have the new provider as their primary.
Change secondary provider for a group of patients:
- Highlight the current secondary provider.
- Under Move Patients, click [...]. Select the new secondary provider and click OK.
- Click Move Sec.
- Click OK to confirm the move. The patients will now have the new provider as their secondary.
Remove a secondary provider from a group of patients:
- Highlight the provider.
- Under Move Patients, click [...].
- Click None.
- Click OK to confirm the move. This provider will no longer be assigned as the secondary provider to any patients.
Reassign by most-used provider: Quickly change a patient's primary provider to the provider who has completed most of the patient's procedures. This process will look at all patients who have the selected provider(s) as their primary provider. If a different provider has performed more of their completed procedures, that provider will be assigned as their new primary provider. The Patient Primary Provider Edit permission is also required.
- Highlight the provider(s) to review.
- Click Reassign.
- A confirmation message will show. Click OK to proceed and search for possible reassignments.
- A message will show indicating how many possible reassignments have been identified. Click OK to reassign the patients to the most-used provider. Click Cancel to abort.
Note: If multiple providers share an equal number of completed procedures, the most recently used provider will take precedence.
Reorder the Provider List
Changing the order does not harm any patient data. To manually reorder providers:
- Highlight a provider.
- Click the up or down arrow to move the provider one row higher or lower.
Alphabetize Providers: This feature will alphabetize providers by abbreviation in the following order:
- Providers who are people
- Providers who are marked Not a Person (e.g. a billing entity)
- Hidden providers
The Provider Alphabetize permission is required.
- Click Alphabetize Providers.
- A confirmation message will show. Click OK to proceed.
Questions and Answers
How do I delete a provider who has left the practice?
Providers cannot be deleted. Instead mark them hidden on the Edit Provider window. This will remove them as a selection option.
Where do I enter a provider's EHR Annual Provider Key.
On the EHR Setup window (Setup, Chart, EHR). See EHR Annual Provider Keys.