In the Main Menu, click Clinics.
The clinics feature is useful when you have multiple locations and want to use one database. The clinics feature keeps information separated by clinic / location.
Use this menu to select the clinic. Only clinics the logged-on user has access to are listed as options. To set the default main menu clinic when logging on, see Miscellaneous Setup, Track Last Clinic by.
Note: When there are more than 30 clinics, there is no option in the main menu to show hidden clinics.
The clinic selection determines the following:
- The look of the Appointments Module.
- The default clinic when adding new patients. When Headquarters is selected, Unassigned is the default. If adding a patient to an existing family, the clinic of the family is the default.
- The clinic for new appointments.
- The lab case status indicated in the Appointments Module. If Headquarters is the selected clinic, the status will reflect all lab cases attached to scheduled appointments in any operatory, including those with no clinic assigned.
- The employees that list in the time clock and the clinic associated with clock-in events.
- Which Alerts show.
When setting up clinics, do the following:
Clinic selection: Below are some helpful guidelines about the clinic options available for selection in various areas of Open Dental.
- Typically only clinics associated with the logged-on user are options (User Security Profiles, Assign Clinics).
- Unassigned means there is no clinic assigned to a patient, or, if used as a filter option (e.g. for reports) includes all patients who have not been assigned to a specific clinic.
- none means there is no clinic assigned (e.g. to payments, procedures, adjustments).
- All means all clinics the user has access to.
- Headquarters is the default interface option (accessible via the Main Menu, Clinics) for users with no default clinic. In Schedule Setup and Time Card Manage, selecting Headquarters will filter the results to employees not assigned a clinic.
Operatories: If an operatory has a clinic set, all appointments scheduled in that operatory are automatically assigned that clinic. If an operatory has no clinic, the appointments will be assigned the patient's clinic. Operatories
Claims: To ensure claims are always credited to the correct clinic, follow these guidelines.
- Make sure each procedure is assigned to the correct clinic when it is completed. To make it easier, assign clinics to specific operatories, and place appointments in those operatories so the correct clinic will be assigned by default.
- When the claim is created, it is automatically assigned a clinic based on the attached procedures, and this cannot be changed. If the wrong clinic gets attached to a claim, delete the claim, change all the procedures, then recreate the claim.
- Patient Payments: The default clinic for patient payments is determined by the setting in Account Module Preferences for Payments Use Patient Clinic. When checked, the clinic for patient payments will always default to the patient's clinic. When unchecked, the clinic will default to the clinic selected in the Main Menu.
- Claim Payments and Adjustments: Claim payments and adjustments default to the patient's clinic. If 'unassigned', the default will be 'none'.
- Time Clock: Each time clock event is associated to a clinic. When clocking in, the clinic selected in the Main Menu is assigned to the event. Subsequent clock out events use the same clinic.
Also see: Multiple Locations
- During HL7 import from eCW, clinics are not set for new patients.
- If Open Dental was used initially without the Clinic feature turned on, all patients that existed before turning on clinics will have no clinic (ClinicNum of 0). You will have to manually assign them. All new patients will use the defaults.
- If Open Dental was used initially without the Clinic feature turned on, any previously scheduled appointments will not update to include the clinic. You will need to manually add the clinic to each appointment or run the Update Provs on Future Appointments tool.
Find patients with no clinic: Run the Database Maintenance tool and check results for PatientsNoClinicSet. If patient's are found, then manually assign a default clinics. If needed, contact Open Dental Conversions for a service to associate clinics