Test Data Conversion
Open Dental will provide a test data conversion at no charge, so you can see how Open Dental will look with your data. There is no set trial period with the test conversion. You can keep the test conversion for as long as you would like. The test conversion database allows you to see how Open Dental converts your data and how to use Open Dental.
You are responsible for checking the test conversions data and verifying it is satisfactory before proceeding to the final conversion. The final conversion will be nearly identical to the test conversion, so make certain you are happy with the test. Once the final conversion is delivered and you begin entering new data, there can be no further enhancements to the converted data without data loss. (In rare situations, we may be able to fix minor issues.)
Prior to a test conversion, do not begin entering real patient data in Open Dental, because this data will not be transferred to your final database. If you are selling or buying a practice, see Practice Changing Ownership to determine how to handle accounts receivable.
How Our Test Data Conversion Process Works
1. Call or email us to schedule an appointment for a test conversion. We recommend scheduling one to two weeks in advance of your desired conversion date.
2. Test Conversion: On your scheduled test conversion date, a conversion specialist will remote connect to the server for your current practice management software, attempt to extract the raw data from your existing software, and transfer it to a secure physical location at Open Dental using a secure SSL connection. Extracting raw data is almost always possible, but in rare situations it is not.
3. Test Database Delivery: When the test conversion is ready, we will call you to install the trial version of Open Dental on your server and give you access to the test conversion data. We will also test a bridge to your x-ray imaging software, if applicable.
4. Test Conversion Discussion: For each section below, we will go over (in detail) what your office needs to do before you move forward with a final conversion.
5. Your office verifies the test conversion: Thoroughly check and verify your test conversion data, using the Pre-Data Conversion Checklist as a guide. View the Pre-Data Conversion Checklist Overview Video for a detailed walkthrough.
6. If you discover an issue: Open Dental staff will gladly walk through a few examples of the issues, collect screen shots, attempt to fix the conversion method, and provide a new test conversion. This cycle will continue until you are satisfied with the output.
Please let us know if you have input about the conversion so we can improve the process. We make changes almost daily to the conversion application. If we can accommodate a request, it will be converted in a subsequent test. If you do not see the information you are looking for in your test conversion, the data was probably not converted.
You are responsible for checking the test conversion data and verifying it is satisfactory.
Ready to continue to the final step? Final Data Conversion
Open Dental Software 1-503-363-5432