Final Data Conversion
Each practice is responsible for checking the test conversion data, verifying it is satisfactory, and understanding the conversion process. Once you have verified the data in a Test Data Conversion and are ready to purchase Open Dental, Contact a conversion specialist to schedule your final conversion. We recommend calling at least one week prior to your desired final conversion date. (Once we have performed a test conversion for your office, we can give you an estimate for the amount of time your final conversion will take.)
Please always consider staff training prior to moving forward to a final conversion. See Training webpage for options.
How Our Final Data Conversion Process Works
1. Complete all required documents that were emailed to you at the time of your test conversion. The Pre-Data Conversion Checklist and additional documents must be completely filled out, signed, and received by Open Dental BEFORE you can schedule your final conversion.
2. Call or email us to schedule an appointment for a final conversion. We recommend scheduling one to two weeks in advance of your desired conversion date.
3. Pay conversion fees and update Open Dental. Once you have scheduled your Final Data Conversion, at anytime prior to your final conversion date you can contact Open Dental support to pay for your first month of support and any conversion fees. Fees must be paid before the final conversion.
Open Dental support will also help update your server and workstations to the full version of Open Dental.
4. On the date of your final data conversion:
5. After the final conversion is placed on your server (immediately after the final data conversion and before entering data):
6. Set aside time to review the final conversion and perform setup and cleanup. Refer to the Post Conversion Checklist (PDF) for specific steps.
7. Begin entering new transactions into Open Dental only. Do not enter new data in your old software; only use it for historical records. See Using Open Dental after a Conversion for workflow guidance and recommendations.
8. If you find database inconsistencies in the final conversion data, a conversion specialist will assist whenever possible at no additional cost. However, once you begin entering data into a final conversion database, we are unable to fix inconsistencies without data loss. In rare circumstances, we can correct a problem using a copy of the data from your final conversion day. We also do not recommend dual entry (entering new data into both Open Dental and your old software).
9. Missing information: We work very hard to convert as much data as possible, but it is impossible to convert every byte. Some data will be lost after a conversion, and this means you will have to enter it manually.
10. Billing: You will not be ready to run the Billing List until insurance has been verified and all outstanding claims have been entered. If you run the billing list before these steps are completed, statements will not show that you have billed insurance and insurance estimates will be inaccurate. To handle billing, you have two options:
Open Dental Software 1-503-363-5432