Set up Dunning Messages
A dunning message is a note that shows on statements generated via the Billing List. It is based on account Aging, insurance pending, billing type, or a combination of these criteria. Only one dunning message will be used on any bill. On the Billing window, dunning messages are sorted by criteria complexity: messages with more general criteria appear higher in the list, messages with stricter criteria appear lower. The first message that matches will be used, starting from the bottom up (lower listed messages take precedence).
Dunning messages only show on statements generated via the Billing List, not when printing or emailing statements from the customer's account. To print and email the same statement, we recommend emailing from the Billing List so you can use the Email Override variables available in the Dunning Message which are not available in regular email templates. Then print the statement from the customer's account.
To set up dunning messages:
- In the Manage module, click Billing.
- Double click an existing dunning message or click Add Dunning Msg.
- Select the criteria that will trigger this dunning message.
Billing Type: Options can be customized in Definitions, Billing Types. Billing type is set on the Edit Patient Information window.
Age of Account: See Aging for details about how aging is calculated.
If you select Over 30, 60, or 90, a Days in Adv checkbox will show. Enter a value if you want to trigger the dunning message a certain number of days before an account reaches an aging bucket. If 0, the message will be triggered at day 30, 60, or 90, depending on age of account selected.
Insurance Payment Pending: Select whether to include patients who have insurance payments pending (yes), exclude them (no), or if it doesn't matter.
- In the Statement Notes, enter the message. Text entered as a Message appears once at the bottom of the statement. Text entered as a Bold Message appears in bold red at the bottom and top of the statement.
- In the Email Statement Override area, enter the subject and/or message body used if the statement is emailed. Variables can be used. This message will override the Billing Default email message.
- Click OK to save the message.
See also: Billing Defaults, Billing Filter Options, Manage Module Preferences.