Definitions: Billing Types
The Billing Types definition controls the billing type options available. We recommend using as few billing types as possible. To assign a billing type to a patient see Edit Patient Information window. To assign a billing type to an insurance plan, see Edit Insurance Plan window.
Types are useful when running reports to separate delinquent accounts, but can cause "forgotten accounts" if used without good office procedures. Changes affect all patients.
Add/Edit Billing Types
- Click Setup, Definitions, then select Billing Types.
- Click Add to add a new billing type, or double-click a billing type to edit.
- Name: Enter the name of the billing type.
- E=Email bill: To designate the billing type as one that receives emailed statements, enter "E" in the Email Bill field. Then, when you email statements from the Billing List, accounts with this billing type will be automatically emailed. Changes affect all patients.
- Click OK to save.
Reorder Billing Types
On the main Definitions window, highlight a type, then click the up/down arrows.
Hide a Billing Type
There are two ways to hide a type so it is no longer an option.
- On the main Definitions window, select the item, then click Hide.
- On the Edit Definition window, check the Hidden box.
We recommend also moving the item to the bottom of the list. To unhide an item, open the Edit Definition window and uncheck the Hidden box.
- If you hide a billing type that is still assigned to patients, a warning message will alert you.
- If you hide a billing type that is still assigned to an insurance plan, and have the preference in Family Module Preferences for 'New patient primary insurance plan sets patient billing type' checked, creating a new primary insurance plan will still automatically change the patient's billing type to the hidden billing type. So if you hide a billing type, we recommend making sure it is not assigned to a patient or insurance plan.