DoseSpot is a method of sending electronic prescriptions in Open Dental. It is an internet based, secure ePrescribing system. DoseSpot integrates with Open Dental using a program link and offers two-way medication syncing. eConnector and an active support plan are required to register.
Forms: Please fill out one clinic form per location and one provider form per provider.
Call or email Open Dental support to begin the setup process. This process has four parts:
Part 1: Enable DoseSpot Program Link.
Part 2: Sign up for DoseSpot:
- Obtain Clinic Key, ID, and register the Practice Administrator.
- Enter the Clinic Key and ID.
- Obtain Clinician ID.
- Enable additional clinics (optional).
Part 3: Enable Proxy Clinicians.
Part 4: Complete Identity Proofing.
Practices using Legacy eRx can choose to switch to DoseSpot (recommended) or continue using Legacy. Once DoseSpot is enabled, the Legacy option is no longer available. Call Open Dental support to cancel Legacy eRx.
Part 1: Enable DoseSpot Program Link
- In the Open Dental Main Menu, click Setup, Program Links.
- Double-click electronic Rx.
- Select DoseSpot as the eRx Solution.
- Check the Enabled box.
- Click OK. For practices already using eRx, once DoseSpot is enabled, the eRx Legacy option is no longer available.
Part 2: Sign up for DoseSpot
The following instructions are for the first clinic you register. For subsequent clinics, see the Additional Clinics section below.
Obtain Clinic Key, ID and Practice Administrator registration
- Designate a Practice Administrator for EPCS registrations.
- Complete the DoseSpot Clinic/Practice Registration Form (see the PDF at the top of this page) and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will receive an email containing your Clinic Key, Clinic ID, and Practice Administrator registration. This could take up to two business days to receive.
Enter Clinic Key and Clinic ID
- In the Open Dental main menu, click Setup, Program Links.
- Double click on electronic Rx.
- Double click your clinic to open DoseSpot Property Edit window. This is the clinic you provided registration information for.
- Enter the provided Clinic Key and Clinic ID.
- Once these fields are entered they cannot be edited.
- If clinic information is missing, click Setup to open the Edit Clinic window and enter required information.
- Click OK.
Obtain a Clinician ID
- Complete and email the DoseSpot Provider Registration Form for each provider using DoseSpot to email@example.com.
- Open Dental will automatically insert the Clinician ID into the DoseSpot User ID field of the User Edit window.
- Providers will be notified via an eRx Alert when registration is complete.
Additional Clinics: Once DoseSpot is enabled for the first clinic, registering additional clinics is easy. There is no charge for additional clinics.
- In Open Dental, click Setup, Program Links.
- Double click electronic Rx.
- Double click the clinic you wish to register.
- Click Register Clinic. The Clinic ID and Key fields will populate.
- Click OK.
- In the Chart module, click eRx. This notifies and updates Open Dental Headquarters.
Part 3: Enable Proxy Clinicians
Proxy clinicians must be enabled manually. Below are the steps to complete this process for proxy clinicians. This process can also be used for providers in the event a provider Clinician ID was not automatically entered in the DoseSpot User ID field.
Enter Clinician ID to Send ePrescriptions: This is required for each provider and proxy clinician who will be sending ePrescriptions.
- Once you receive a Clinician ID, in Open Dental, click Setup, Security.
- Double click the user to open the User Edit window.
- In the DoseSpot User ID field, enter the Clinician ID. Click OK.
The provider and proxy clinician(s) may now access DoseSpot.
Part 4: Complete Identity Proofing
This process only applies to prescribing providers. Each prescribing provider must complete identity proofing before sending ePrescriptions.
- In DoseSpot, click theWalk Me Through menu item in the lower right.
- Follow the steps on the screen to complete identity proofing.
Note: You will create a PIN. This PIN is required every time an ePrescription is sent.
Register for EPCS
There are two parts to register for EPCS.
Part 1: Practice Administrator Login
Your practice administrator is designated during the Sign Up for DoseSpot process above. This person will access the Administration Console in DoseSpot and enable EPCS for the registered provider(s).
- In a web browser, navigate to http://pss.dosespot.com/Admin.
- Enter login information. Login information is sent via email when the clinic is registered for DoseSpot.
- In the Administration Console, click Edit on the provider/clinician to enable EPCS.
- Under TFA Authentication, check the EPCS/TFA Activation box.
- Click Save.
Part 2: Register for EPCS
EPCS registration is required in order to submit electronic prescriptions for controlled substances.
- In Open Dental, select a patient.
- In the Chart module, click eRx to open DoseSpot.
- Click the notification alert in the upper left.
- Click Activate TFA Authentication. This will initiate a Session ID for the logged on provider. Expect a few days to receive this in the mail.
- Once the Session ID has arrived, download and open the VIP Access app on the provider's mobile phone.
- Repeat steps 1-3.
- In DoseSpot, enter the Session ID.
- Enter the Credential ID generated from the VIP Access app. Do not include the spaces.
- Enter the displayed 6-digit code from VIP Access into the TFA Code on the computer.
- Enter in the provider's PIN created during the IDP setup process.
- Click Save.
You can now send both controlled and non-controlled substances electronically.
EHR Incentive Program: DoseSpot has superior features to Legacy eRx, but ePrescribing for the EHR Incentive Program is only possible with Legacy eRx - Comprehensive.