Update to the Full Version of Open Dental
When you order the full version of Open Dental, a support technician will often update the software on your main computer and perform some minor required setup. If you update on your own, refer to the following instructions.
Step 1: If not already installed, Install the Trial Version on the server (main computer).
Step 2: Update to the Full Version on the server (main computer). Contact Open Dental Support for assistance or see below. Refer to your Welcome email for your registration key.
Step 3: Perform Required Setup on the server (run procedure code tools, share OpenDentImages folder).
Step 4: If using Open Dental on several computers, Install on Workstations. These steps are different than server installations.
Update to the Full Version on the Server (Main Computer)
The Trial version should already be installed.
- On your desktop, right click on the Open Dental icon, then click Run as Administrator.
- In Open Dental's Main Menu, click Help, Update, then Setup in the upper left corner.
- Next to Registation Key, click Change.
- Enter the registration key from your welcome email.
- Review the CDT, Open Dental and SQL license agreements. If you agree, check the boxes.
- Click OK twice to return to the Update window.
- Click Check for Updates to see a list of all available versions.
- Click Install next to the version you want to update to. Only select one install. Normally, you want to install the New Stable version. Do not install Beta unless you are comfortable with potential errors. Beta versions are not quite as stable and will require frequent updates.
- Any announcements specific to the update will show. Click OK to proceed.
- All workstations must shutdown for the update to occur. A warning message will show. Click OK to start the download.
- Restart Open Dental. When it opens, the new files will be copied to the server. Installation to the main computer is complete.
Complete these steps on the server (main computer) before proceeding. A support technician can assist you.
- Run Procedure Code Tools to remove temporary codes used in the Trial version and automatically add CDT codes. Open Dental CDT Compliance
- In the Main Menu, click Lists, Procedure
- At the lower left, click Tools.
- Check all boxes.
- Click Run Now.
- If using multiple computers, perform these on the server before installing on a workstation.
- Share the OpenDentImages folder.
- Set the path to the shared OpenDentImages folder. (In the Main Menu, click Setup, Data Paths).
These steps are not required to run Open Dental, but are recommended:
Tooth Chart Graphics: In the Main Menu, click File, Graphics, then change the preference to Direct X or Open GL.
- Program Bridges: Bridge to imaging software or other programs as needed.
If workstations have trouble connecting, it may be a firewall issue. If you can't get past
the Choose Database window, then it's
a firewall issue. You may need to create an exception to allow Port 3306. See Firewalls for information on how to open port 3306. If you've
turned off all firewalls on the server and are still stuck at the Choose
Database window, see Troubleshooting.
Install on Workstations
If installing to multiple computers, see Install on a Workstation. Steps for workstation installations are different than server installations.
When installation is complete, you are ready to begin.