In Email Setup, click Add, or double-click on an existing address.
Alternatively, for user specific emails, in the Main Menu, click File, User Email Address. When accessed this way, only the user-specific email displays. No other users will be able to see emails sent to the address.
Enter the email settings. You may need to consult your email provider. Some known settings for different email hosts can be found on Email Errors.
- Username: The full email address.
- Use SSL: Check the box to enable SSL/TLS. Uncheck it to disable SSL/TLS.
- Password: The password for this email account. For Gmail accounts, use Sign in with Google instead.
- Required for Gmail addresses: Click Sign in with Google if using a Gmail account.
- A new tab will open in your browser. Follow the Gmail prompts in the browser. Tokens will automatically populate after access has been granted.
- When using Gmail, the Outgoing Email Settings automatically populate and disable the fields for editing.
- Gmail users must have a valid registration key for Open Dental.
This section only displays if Gmail Account Authorization has been completed.
- Clear Tokens: Click to clear token. Do this when your Gmail password has changed, then re-authorize your account.
- Gmail Settings: Click to open the Gmail Settings window. Determines which emails are downloaded into the inbox in Open Dental.
- Inbox Search Operators for Filtering: Only available when Download incoming emails is checked. Enter terms to filter which emails are downloaded into Open Dental. For example, is:unread only downloads unread email or is:starred only downloads starred emails from Gmail.
- Get unread mail only: Only available when Download incoming emails is checked. Only download unread mail from the inbox.
- Download incoming emails: Check the box to download incoming emails from Gmail mailbox into the Email Inbox. When checked, Outgoing and Incoming Email Settings will display. When unchecked, Outgoing and Incoming Email Settings remain blank.
Outgoing Email Settings
Outgoing email settings are required to send email from Open Dental. Gmail users should not fill this out and instead use Gmail Authentication.
- Outgoing SMTP Server: Enter the outgoing SMTP server. Some known options are listed.
- Outing Port: Enter the outgoing port.
- Email address of sender: This email address is the display name, but not all email providers will recognize it. It will appear in the From address instead of the username (full email address), though the username credentials will still be used. When sending encrypted email, this field is ignored. (e.g. If Sparkly Dental <firstname.lastname@example.org> the recipient will see Sparkly Dental as the sender instead of email@example.com.)
Incoming Email Settings
Incoming email settings are only required if using the Email Inbox. Gmail users should not fill this out and instead use Gmail Authentication.
- Incoming POP3 Server: Enter the Incoming POP3 Server.
- Incoming Port: Enter the incoming port.
This section only displays when:
- accessed from File, User Email Address. The signed in user displays but cannot be changed.
- adding a new email address.
- editing an existing email address that is not marked as default or WebMail Notify.
- User: The user associated with the email address. Click [...] to select a user.
- Users must have the securityadmin permission to change the user assigned to an email address.