In the Manage Module, click Emails.
In addition to regular email, this is also where you view WebMail (only when the provider is logged in) and Secure Email replies (viewable by any user).
Emails received by the practice/clinic/group email address are viewable by all users (See Email Setup). User-specific emails are only viewable when the user is logged on (see Email Address Edit).
This window is non-modal, meaning it can be left open in the background while you access other areas.
View Messages for address: Lists all mail addresses the user can view messages for. Click the dropdown to select a different address.
- Defaults to the logged-on user's email address or the practice/clinic/group email address.
- WebMail is for Secure WebMail Feature and only is an option when the logged-on user is a provider.
Setup: Access Email Setup for practice/clinic/group setup. The Open Dental Service is required.
Inbox lists all messages received by the selected address. Click a column header to sort the messages alphabetically in ascending or descending order.
- From: The email address of the sender.
- Subject: The subject sent with the email.
- Date Received: The date and time the email was received by the mail server.
- MessageType: The type of message.
- Regular email: A clear text email.
- Encrypted email: An encrypted email.
- SecureWebMail (sent via the patient portal)
- Sig: Y Indicates the message is digitally signed (an encrypted email) and the sender is a trusted source. N indicates there is digital signature, but the sender is not a trusted source yet. Click the N to add a source to your trusted list.
- Patient: The patient attached to the email. If blank, there is no patient attached. Open Dental automatically attempts to attach a matching patient to incoming messages using this logic: When an encrypted email with an attached Summary of Care (ccd.xml), the program searches for a match using LastName, FirstName and Birthdate. Otherwise, the program searches for a matching patient based on email address.
- Compose: Create a new email message.
- Reply: Create a reply message for the selected email.
- Reply All: Reply to all email addresses included in the email.
- Forward: Forward a message.
- Change Pat: Attach the message to a patient. Patients are automatically attached to incoming messages when Open Dental can find an exact match.
- Mark Read/Mark Unread: Change the message status. Bold messages indicate unread messages.
- Refresh: Refresh the inbox for the selected email address.
View Incoming Messages
New emails on the mail server are automatically synced in the background using the Open Dental Service. Automatic download occurs every time Open Dental starts, when the inbox is opened, and at set intervals (see Email Setup).
- Under View messages for address, select the address you want to view messages for.
- Click the Inbox tab. Unread messages will be bold.
- Highlight a message to preview the message text in the lower portion of the window, or double-click a message to open it in a new window.
Patients are automatically attached to incoming messages when Open Dental can find an exact match based on certain criteria. To select a patient to attach, click Change Pat.
Reply to a Message
Select the Inbox tab, then select the original message.
Click Reply or Reply All. The Email Message Edit window will open with the From and To addresses filled in, the original message text notated in the body text, and the cursor at the top of the text box.
Enter the reply message, then click Send.
A copy of the message will list under Sent Messages.
Compose a New Message
On the Email Message Edit window, enter the message details (To, Subject, Body text, Attachments, etc.)
Send the message.
A copy of the message will list under Sent Messages.
View Sent Messages
Sent Messages lists all messages sent by the selected address from Open Dental. Sent messages can only be viewed, not edited. They can be deleted if there is no patient attached..
Click the Sent tab.
Highlight a message to preview the message text in the lower portion of the window, or double-click a message to open it in a new window.
Sent Messages columns: The columns are the same as the Inbox, except for the following:
- Sent To: The email address of the recipient.
- Date Sent: The date and time the email was sent by the mail server.
- Msg Type: The status of the message.
- Sent: A clear text email message was sent.
- SentDirect: An encrypted email was sent.
- Msg Source: The message origin. For example, an email sent from the recall list will have a message source of 'Recall'.
- Is Auto: Displays an X if the message was an automated email (e.g. EConfirmation, EReminder, etc.).
Search for Email Messages
To search for specific emails by attached patient, email address, date range, or subject/body text, use the Search area.
Select the Inbox or Sent Messages tab.
Enter the search criteria:
- Patient: Click [...] to select a patient.
- Email Address: Enter the email address.
- Date From/To: Search for messages sent or received during a date range. Use the DD/MM/YYYY format.
- Subject/Body: Search for specific in the subject and body text.Only include messages with attachments: Check to only list messages that have an attachment. Uncheck to ignore this criteria.
Click Search to enter search mode (turns yellow). Matching results will list.
Click Clear to exit search mode.
Show Email In
In the Show Email In area, select where an individual email will show or not show. To show the email in an area, highlight it. To hide the email in the area, deselect it. By default, all areas are selected.
- Email Inbox
- Appointment Edit: Edit Appointment, Communications Log area
- Chart Progress Notes: Chart Module, Progress Notes
- Account Progress Notes: Account Module, Progress Notes
- Account Comm Log: Account module, Communications Log area
Show Hidden Emails: Check to show emails that have been hidden in all areas.
Sent Message Sources
In the Sent Message Sources area, select which emails are shown in the Sent Messages grid or click All to show all sent emails. Clicking None clears the current selection.
The source filter options are only available while on the Sent tab and an email address is selected. If WebMail is selected, the filter options are disabled and all sent WebMail messages will show.
Manual: Emails created and sent by a user.
- Undefined: Email messages that do not have a type assigned.
- Legacy: All email messages sent prior to version 21.1.6. Messages sent after updating to version 21.1.6 will use the types listed below.
- Confirmation: Emails sent from the Confirmation List.
- EHR: Emails sent from EHR Summaries of Care.
- Forward: Emails forwarded from the Email Client by clicking the Forward button.
- Hosting: Generated by our email hosting.
- Manual: These are manual emails created by
- Clicking the Compose button in the Email Client.
- Clicking the Email button or any of the dropdown options from the Main toolbar.
- PaymentReceipt: Emails sent when clicking the Email Receipt button in the Payment window.
- Recall: Emails sent from the Recall list.
- Reply: Emails replied to from the Email Client or Edit Email Message window.
- Sheet: Emails sent from the Fill Sheet window or Edit Deposit Slip window.
- Statement: Emails with a statement sent from the Bills List, Statement window, or Statement button or dropdown in the Account Module.
- TreatmentPlan: Emails sent by clicking the Email TP button.
- Verification: Emails sent automatically from the Verification list.
Automated: Emails automatically created and sent by an Open Dental feature.
- EConfirmation: Emails automatically sent by the eConfirmation feature.
- eReminder: Emails automatically sent by the eReminder feature.
- PatPortalInvite: Emails automatically created when inviting a patient to the patient portal.
- PatPortalReset: Emails automatically sent when the patient forgets their password.
- ThankYou: Emails automatically sent for Thank You Messages.
- WebSchedASAP: Email automatically sent from the Web Sched ASAP feature.
- WebSchedRecall: Emails automatically sent from the Web Sched Recall feature.
Show Failed Emails: Check to show emails that were sent but failed to deliver to the recipient.
Deleting a received message removes it from the inbox only, not the email server. It will not download from the email server again. Sent messages can only be deleted when there is no attached patient.
- Highlight the message.
- Click Delete.
Emails attached to a patient are removed from the inbox, yet still visible in the Commlog and Progress Notes.
Emails not attached to a patient are permanently removed.
To send and receive encrypted email, both parties must have established trust by sharing public key security certificates.
When a received email is encrypted, decryption is automatically attempted.
- When successful, the Sig column will show Y (indicating the sender is a trusted source) and the message text will be readable.
- If unsuccessful, a N will show instead to indicate the sender is not yet a trusted source, and the message will not be decrypted.
Why Decryption Fails: Decryption can fail if encrypted email is not set up on the workstation (email security certificates are not installed), if there are permission issues, or when the sender is not listed as a trusted source on the workstation (sender's public certificate has not been installed on the workstation). If permission issues are the cause, try running Open Dental as an administrator.
To add a sender as a trusted source:
Click the 'N'.
Retry Decryption: When decryption has failed, a Decrypt button shows on the left of the Edit Email Message window:
Click Decrypt to attempt decryption again (e.g. on a different computer, once encrypted email is setup, or once the sender is a trusted source). If the message is from an unknown recipient that is not in your trusted list, you will be prompted to add the recipient to your trusted list.
If you choose OK, Open Dental will attempt to locate the public certificate for the sender and, if found, add it before attempting decryption again.
See also Email Encryption Options
See Email Errors.