In an internet browser, navigate to the Patient Portal Patient Facing URL (provided on the printout).
Patients can access the Patient Portal using most web browsers or mobile devices. Below is a summary of what the patient or Authorized Representatives may see when they go to the Patient Portal.
Enter the user name and password.
To auto-enter this username the next time you sign in, check Remember User Name.
Note: The first time the patient logs in, they will be prompted to change their user name. This is only an option during the first login. To change it, enter the New User Name, then click Submit.
You may be prompted to verify your personal information as required by certain payment processors.
Reset a Forgotten Password:
- Click forgot password.
- Enter the User Name and click Next. An email will be sent to the user's email address.
- On the Forgot Password window, enter the reset code found in the email.
- Enter and verify the new password.
- Click Log In.
Sign Out of the Portal: In the upper right of the portal, click Sign Out.
Navigating the Patient Portal
The patient can easily navigate the portal. Six clickable icons indicate each feature the patient can access.
- Appointments: View the patient's scheduled and completed appointments and other action needed items, such as eConfirmations that need confirmed and Web Sched Recall notifications that are still unscheduled.
- Account: View payments and statements. Make online credit card payments.
- Treatment Plan: View the patient's saved Treatment Plans.
- WebMail: View and send private Secure WebMail Feature messages (between provider and patient).
- Care Summary: View, download, or transmit EHR Summaries of Care. (EHR)
- Images: View PDFs and image files stored in Images Module folders shared to the Patient Portal.
- Contact Us: View contact information about the practice or clinic.
- Patient Name: The name of the currently logged on patient. Click the dropdown to select from three options:
- Change Password: Change the logged-on user's password.
- Family Information: View a summary of each patient's information.
- Manage Credit Cards: Add or remove credit cards used in the portal.
- Refresh: Refresh information in the portal.
The Appointments area shows all of the patient's appointments and any outstanding action items, such as sent eConfirmations that have not yet been confirmed, or Web Sched Recall notifications for appointments not yet scheduled.
Click Schedule Appointment to schedule a Web Sched Recall appointment. Click Confirm Appointment to confirm a scheduled appointment.
View and Make Payments
In the Account area, Payment tab, view pending and processed statements (by pay split), as well as statement summaries. Patients can also make a payment from here.
An asterisk indicates a pending online payment that has been processed by the credit card provider but still need to be processed in Open Dental. See Online Payment Management.
Make a Payment in the Portal: Patients can make an online payment if they have a statement and Online Portal Payments is enabled.
- Click Pay.
- Enter the amount of the payment.
- Enter a note that will be viewable to office staff.
- Select the card to charge the payment to:
- To select a card already on file, highlight it. The payment will process instantly with the credit card provider.
- Otherwise, click New Card, enter the credit card information, then click Submit to instantly process the payment with the credit card provider.
To make a payment without logging in, see Online Payment.
Manage Credit Cards: When a patient makes a payment when logged in to the portal, credit card information is automatically saved. In the upper right, click the patient name, then Manage Credit Cards to add or remove credit cards.
- Click X to delete an existing card.
- Click New Card to add a new card.
In the Account area, click the down arrow next to a statement to download.
View Treatment Plans
The Treatment Plan area lists the patient's saved treatment plans.
WebMail messages are private messages between the patient (or their authorized representative) and a provider.
There are two folders:
- Inbox: Messages received from the provider.
- Sent Items: Messages sent by the patient.
Click on a message to preview it in the bottom of the screen.
- Bold message indicate an unread message.
- If the message has an attachment (e.g. a clinical summary), a paperclip symbol shows to the left of the message. To open an attachment, click on the link. Patients can only view attachments; they cannot upload and send attachments.
- The status of the message is indicated under Sent At. = Unread = Sent = Read
Compose: Click to create a new message to send to your primary provider. Enter the subject and message then click Send.
Reply: Click to reply to a message. Enter the reply, then click Send.
Note: Authorized representative can send message on behalf of any family member. Click the Patient Name (next to Regarding Patient), then select the family member.
View, Download, Transmit Care Summary
This feature is primarily for EHR. Highlight a patient name to view the associated care summary. Click a Table of Contents link to jump to specific information. See EHR Continuity of Care Document ( CCD ).
The patient can perform the following actions for each care summary:
- History: View a detailed dated history of all actions, including any taken by an authorized representative on behalf of the patient (e.g. the guarantor).
- : Download the care summary as a zip file.
- : Transmit the care summary to another provider the patient has been referred to. This icon is only visible if:
- A referral has been entered in Open Dental.
- Direct trust has been established with the referring provider (see Email Direct Encryption) and it has been denoted on the provider's Add Referral window (Email Trust for Direct is checked).
View, Download Images and PDFs
The Images area allows patients to view and download PDFs and image files. Only items stored in an Images folder that is designated as Show in Patient Portal are listed.
Images display chronologically by date, oldest to newest. Click to download the file.
Patients can change their own password while logged into the portal.
- In the upper right corner of the portal, click the patient name, then Change Password.
- Enter the current user name and password, then enter and confirm the new password.
- Click OK to change.