Use the Patient Portal window to manually provide or remove access to the portal.
In the patient's Chart Module, Patient Information area, double-click the Patient Portal row.
Alternatively, in the EHR Dashboard, click Provide Online Access next to the ElectronicCopyAccess measure.
Note: To quickly open the Patient Portal access window, help staff quickly grant access to patients, and generate portal user names and passwords, add a Patient Portal row to the Patient Info area of the Chart Module.
In the main menu, click Setup menu, Display Fields
, and move the Patient Portal field to the Fields Showing grid. The row will indicate whether patient has access or not. To provide online access, simply double click the row.
Patient Facing URL: The patient portal web address. Click Open to open the URL in your web browser.
Provide Online Access: Click to automatically generate a user name and password.
- Online Username: Defaults to the patient's first name plus a random number. It can be manually changed. The user name is not case sensitive.
- Online Password: A random 8-digit one-time use password. It can be manually changed but must have at least 8 characters, one uppercase letter, one lowercase letter, and one number. The password is case sensitive.
Print: Generate a printout of the user name, password, and the patient portal URL to give to the patient.
For information about what the patients sees when they log in to the portal see Patient Portal: What Patient Sees and Authorized Representatives.
- Before you can grant access to the Patient Portal, your hosting service must be setup. See Patient Portal.
- One-time use passwords generated by Open Dental will be valid until the patient changes their password, or until a different password is generated in Open Dental (manually or via a sheet or invitation).
Change User Name or Password
User names and passwords can be manually changed by staff at any time.
- Open the Patient Portal window. The current user name will show and the current password will show as asterisks.
- To manually enter a new user name or password, type it in. To automatically generate a new password, click Generate New.
- Click Print to print a copy of the user name, password, and the URL.
Patients can also change their own password and user name in the portal.
Alternative Methods to Grant Access
- Set up Patient Portal Invites that are automatically triggered by a scheduled or completed appointment.
- Patient portal invitations can be automatically emailed to patients a specific number of days before or after an appointment. Invites are only sent to patients who have not accessed the portal yet. The patient must also have an entered name, address, date of birth, email address, and phone number in the Family Module. The invitation will include a one-time use password and user name the patient can use to access the portal. This service is optional.
- Generate a sheet that has the patientPortalCredentials Sheet Static Text Field on it.
Remove Online Access
Once online access is provided, the Provide Online Access button changes to Remove Online Access. Click to remove the patient's ability to login to the portal.