Grant Access to the Patient Portal
Before you can grant access to the Patient Portal, your hosting service must be setup. See Patient Portal Setup.
- Open the Patient Portal window. There are two methods:
- On the EHR Dashboard, click Provide online Access next to the ElectronicCopyAccess measure.
- In the patient's Chart module, Patient Information area, double click the Patient Portal row. If the row is not visible, go to Display Fields, ChartPatientInformation, and move the Patient Portal field to the Fields Showing grid.
The Patient Facing URL is the link patients will use to reach your patient portal. To view what the patient will see online, click Open.
- Click Provide Online Access to automatically generate a user name and password for the patient.
- Online Username: Defaults to the patient's first name plus a random number. It can be manually changed. Username is not case sensitive.
- Online Password: A complex password is auto-generated and shows in plain text. It can be manually changed but must have at least 8 characters, one uppercase letter, one lowercase letter, and one number. The password is case sensitive.
- Click Print to print a copy of the username, password, and the URL. Give it to patient.
For information about what the patients sees when they log in to the portal, What the Patient Sees and Authorized Representatives.
Change User Name or Password
Usernames and passwords can be manually changed by staff at any time.
- Open the Patient Portal window. The current username will show and the current password will show as asterisks.
- To manually enter a new username or password, type it in. To automatically generate a new complex password, click Generate New.
- Click Print to print a copy of the username, password, and the URL.
Patients can also change their own password and username in the portal (See 'What the Patient Sees').
Remove Online Access
Once online access is provided, the Provide Online Access button changes to Remove Online Access. Click this button to remove the patient's ability to login to the portal.