Treatment Plan Module
In the Treatment Plan module, you can manage and prioritize treatment plans for a patient. Treatment plans can also be created directly in the Chart module. See Treatment Planning in the Chart Module.
Also see Treatment Plan Table of Contents and Treatment Plan Webinar.
Treatment Plan Toolbar
Preauthorization: Send a Preauthorization for a procedure.
Discount: Add percentage Discounts to selected procedures in unsaved treatment plans.
Update Fees: For this patient only, update all fees and insurance estimates on the selected treatment plan. See Update below.
Print TP: Print the selected treatment plan. Default print options can be set in Treatment Plan Module Preferences.
Email TP: Email the selected treatment plan.
Sign TP: Electronically Sign a saved treatment plan.
The Treatment Plans list in the upper left corner lists all active, inactive, and saved treatment plans for this patient.
Active: There can be one active treatment per patient. Procedures on this plan have a status of 'Treatment Planned (TP)'. The active plan determines the following:
- The default procedures listed in the Chart module Progress Notes.
- The default procedures drawn on the graphical tooth chart.
- The default procedures when creating an appointment for this patient.
- The default
procedures when creating a planned appointment or scheduling an appointment.
As procedures are completed, they are removed from the active treatment plan.
Inactive: There can be multiple inactive treatment plans. Procedures on inactive plans can have a status of 'Treatment Planned (TP)' or 'Treatment Planned Inactive (TPI)'. An inactive treatment plan can replace the active treatment plan at any time. Simply double click the inactive plan, then click Make Active Treatment Plan.
Saved: Save a treatment plan so you have a permanent record to refer to. This is the only way to preserve a treatment plan since completed procedures will be removed from active and inactive plans.
- To save all procedures in a plan, select the treatment plan then click Save TP.
- To only save certain procedures in a treatment plan, select the procedures, then click Save TP.
- To always save treatment plans as PDF files, select the option in Treatment Plan Module Preferences. This will prevent any information from changing on a treatment plan.
- Only saved treatment plans can be signed.
- Fees in saved treatment plans are not affected when updating fees.
Treatment plans can be created from this module or from the Chart module in Treatment Plan view. To create a new treatment plan from here, click New TP. Once procedures are set complete, they are no longer present in any treatment plan.
Show and Sort By Tabs
Show: Options selected on the Show tab affect what shows in the Procedures grid and printed/emailed treatment plans.
- Graphical Completed Tx: Show completed treatment plan procedures on the printed Graphical Tooth Chart.
- Use Ins Max and Deduct: Indicate when a patient's insurance maximum or deductible has been applied or reached.
- Fees: Show or hide all fee information.
Insurance Estimates: Show the estimate amounts for primary and secondary insurance and patient portion.
Discount: Show discount amounts per procedure. Can only be checked if there is a discount or writeoff in one of the treatment planned procedure.
Subtotals: Show Subtotals for each priority level.
Totals: Show Totals at the bottom of the grid.
Sort by: Procedures are always sorted first by priority, then by date. The option here determines whether tooth number or order of entry is the next sort option. Set the default in Treatment Plan Module Preferences.
The box at the upper right shows all PreAuthorizations for this patient. Double click a preauthorization to edit.
When you click on a treatment plan, the associated procedures show in the Procedures grid. To highlight multiple procedures, press Ctrl and click on the procedures, or click and drag. Double click a procedure to open the Procedure Info window.
The columns that show can be customized in Display Fields, TreatmentPlanModule. Options include:
- Abbr: The procedure code abbreviation.
- Code: The Procedure Code.
- Discounts: Any discounts applied (Discounts + any PPO insurance plan writeoffs). Not an option if the UCR fees match the PPO fee.
- Done: An X indicates a procedure is completed (saved treatment plans).
- Dx: The procedure's diagnosis.
- Fee: The fee charged for the procedure.
- Pat: The estimated patient cost.
- Pri Ins: The insurance estimates for the insurance plan listed first in the Family module.
- Priority: The procedure's priority level.
- Sec Ins: The insurance estimates for the insurance plan listed second in the Family module.
- Sub: An X indicates the procedure uses a substitution code in Lists, Procedure Codes.
- Surf: The tooth surface.
- Tth: The tooth number.
The Pri and Sec Ins estimates can be misleading if, in the Family module, the patient has a dental plan listed first and a medical plan listed second. In this particular situation, the Pri Ins column will show the dental plan estimates, and the Sec Ins column will show the medical plan estimates. We recommend listing the medical plan first in the Family module.
The Set Priority list is used to assign priorities to the procedures on the treatment plan. Select the procedure(s), then click on a priority level. The sort order of the procedures will change accordingly. Priorities can also be set while Entering Treatment in the Chart module, and on the Procedure Edit window.
Priority options can be customized in Definitions, Treat' Plan Priorities. You can use numbers, letters, or words up to 7 characters. You can change the sort order of procedures according to priority, change text colors, and hide priorities from view. Examples of other possible priority levels are Sched, Wait, Next, ?, Decline, Last, Low, High, NewYear, Urgent, WaitIns, Altern, Plan A, Plan B, RecPlan, and AltPlan.
The area at the lower right shows remaining family and individual insurance benefits at a glance. For details about how amounts are determined, see Insurance Remaining Estimates.
The note that appears at the bottom of Treatment Plan module will print on the treatment plan. Set the default note in Treatment Plan Module Preferences. Any changes made to the note here will be saved for the selected treatment plan. Right click to add Quick Paste Notes.
There are a few ways to update fees in active or inactive treatment plans (e.g. if fees have increased/decreased or insurance plan or fee schedule changed).
- Update Fees button: Update fees for one patient at a time. Designed to be used during the regular six month exam if there are procedures from the last exam which have not been completed and fees are outdated.
- Global Fee Update in Fee Tools: Update fees in all active and inactive treatment plans at once. See Updating Fees for Treatment Planned Procedures.
Fees in saved treatment plans are not affected when updating fees.
Problem: Treatment Plan tooth chart shows a black box when printing or emailing.
Solution: In the Main Menu, click File, Graphics, and change the format.