Transfer or re-allocate income between patients and charges when they are not available in the Income Transfer Manager.
In the Payment Window, at the top, check None (Income Transfer).
To transfer Unearned Income / Prepayments, see Allocate Unearned Income instead.
Create a $0 payment and check the Payment Type, None (Income Transfer). When checked, the Pay/Add Partials buttons are replaced with Transfer. If the Account Module Preference, Enforce Valid Paysplit, is set to Enforce Fully, the buttons are replaced with Proc Breakdown.
- To view this window automatically after receiving a claim payment, in the Account Module Preferences, check Show provider income transfer window after entering insurance payment.
- Income transfers require the PaymentCreate Permission.
- An Audit Trail entry is logged for income transfers.
Click Add Split or Proc Breakdown (see below) to create offsetting negative and positive payment splits (paysplits).
First, add the negative paysplit to subtract the income source from a patient's clinic and treating provider, or charge.
- On the Edit Payment Split window, enter a negative amount less than or equal to the income source.
- Less than, to transfer a partial amount (e.g. for an overpayment).
- Equal to, to transfer the entire amount.
- Select the Patient with the income source to transfer (defaults to guarantor). Check Is from another family to select a patient not in the family list.
- Select a Clinic and Provider to subtract the income from. A payment must exist for the selected clinic/provider combination to complete a valid transfer.
Or, click Attach to select a charge (one per paysplit). The paysplit will inherit the clinic/provider of the charge.
- Procedure tab: Select a completed or treatment planned procedure (TP).
- Adjustment tab: Select an adjustment.
- Payment Plan: Select the Clinic and Provider assigned to the payment plan, and check Attached to Payment Plan. If the family has multiple payment plans, choose the correct plan from the Select Payment Plan window.
- Click OK to save the negative paysplit.
Next, add the positive paysplit to add the income to a different clinic/provider or charge.
- Enter a positive amount, less than or equal to the negative split.
- Less than, if adding the income to multiple charges.
- Equal to, if adding all of the income to one charge.
- Select the Patient to transfer the income too.
- Attach the income to a procedure, adjustment, or payment plan (one per paysplit).
Or, select a clinic/provider combination to add the income too, if not transferring to a charge. A charge must exist for the selected combination to complete a valid transfer.
Note: If income is transferred but not allocated to a payplan charge, procedure, adjustment, or unearned type, the next time the Income Transfer Manager is opened, it will automatically be re-transferred to the default unearned type.
- Click OK to save the positive paysplit.
Create additional positive paysplits until the subtracted income is completely allocated. The total added splits must be zero to complete the transfer.
Click OK on the Payment window to post the income transfer as a line item to each affected patient's account.
Alternatively, create the paysplits using the Proc Breakdown button (Enforce Fully option). The Pay Split Manager opens to view a list of paid and unpaid charges.
- Select a charge to subtract the income from. If the Amt End is negative (overpaid) and the desired amount click Add Splits otherwise, click Add Partials to enter a negative amount.
- Select a charge to add the income too. If the Amt End is positive (unpaid) and the correct amount click Add Splits. To enter a different amount, click Add Partials.
Repeat until the subtracted income is completely allocated and the total added splits is zero.
Click OK on the Pay Split Manager window, then on the Payment window to complete the transfer.
Transfer Family Balances
To transfer a patient's credit balance to another family member, follow the steps below.
Note: When using this method:
- Do not use the Income Transfer Manager or these transfers automatically re-allocate to unearned income.
- It is only recommended if the Account Module Preference, Enforce Valid Paysplits, is set to Don't Enforce.
With None (Income Transfer) as the Payment Type checked, the Outstanding Charges grid groups all charges for the family by clinic and provider.
- The Amt End is the sum of all insurance estimates, write offs, payments, and charges for the clinic/provider combination.
- A negative Amt End indicates an over allocation of payments and/or positive adjustments for the clinic and provider.
- A positive Amt End is the total amount owed to the clinic and provider.
Select the clinic/provider grouping for a patient with a negative Amt End. This subtracts the amount from the selected group to transfer.
Select a grouping with a positive Amt End to add the income too.
Click Transfer. Positive and negative paysplits are created for each patient, clinic, and provider allocation.
Click OK on the Payment window to complete the transfer. The account balance of each family member included in the transfer increases or decreases by the transfer amount.
Income transfers show as blank payment items with a Txfr code on the Patient Account. Only one, zero credit line item shows if income is transferred from procedure to procedure under the same patient and clinic/provider combination. If income is transferred between multiple patients, and clinics/providers, a Txfr shows for the total negative amount transferred from each patient/clinic/provider combination, and for the total positive amount transferred to each combination.
Transfers also show on reports affecting income allocation only; they do not increase or decrease the total practice income.