Open Dental has several internal sheets that can be copied and customized for your practice.
In Sheets, click New, or double-click an existing sheet to Edit.
On the left is a preview of the fields and elements currently on the sheet and their location on the page. Sheet layout displayed onscreen will match what is printed. If the sheet is multiple pages, a darker dotted line represents the page break. In the example above:
- A background image is used for the static text (black).
- Input fields and checkboxes (blue) have been superimposed on the image to indicate data entry areas.
- The input fields correspond to fields in the database. If completed electronically, the entered data can be Imported into the database.
See our video on Mobile Web Forms: Web Forms Tutorial.
Mobile: Click to open Edit Mobile Sheet Def window.
Edit Properties: Click to make changes to Sheet Def Properties (e.g. name, default fonts, page orientation, page size).
Add or edit Sheet Field Types.
- To edit a field or element, double-click on it in the preview, or double-click on it in the Fields list.
- To edit an image or line, double-click on the item in the Fields list.
- To set up fields that can be imported into the database, see Medical History Layout or Patient Form Layout.
- To select multiple fields, press Ctrl while clicking.
- To move fields, drag them with the mouse, or use the arrows on the keyboard.
- To move the fields in large increments, press Shift while pressing the arrows.
Language: Use the dropdown to select a language translation. Languages can be added in Miscellaneous Setup.
- Translated sheets automatically populate for patients with their preferred language set in the Edit Patient Information window. (i.e. A patient with their language set to Spanish will automatically use the sheets that have a Spanish translation.)
- Click Add New to add a new translation.
- Select an existing language to view and edit the translated sheet.
- Translations are not done by the system. You must go into each field and manually enter the translation into the selected language version. You may also need to move the field or edit the size. Edited fields on a translated sheet show in green.
- To delete a language translation, select the translation from the dropdown menu, then click Delete. This will only delete the selected language translation, not the entire sheet.
- Web Forms will use the default language for the sheet.
- eClipboard will use the patient's preferred language.
Setup Auto Snap: Click to enable grid. Auto Snap makes it easier to move fields and ensure they are aligned.
Enter a value between 10 and 100(pixels) to enable. Based on the value entered, a grid will appear in the background of the Edit Sheet Def window to assist in aligning elements.
If using a sheet for Web Forms Feature, the view of the sheet is dependent on the browser the web form is viewed in. If a browser doesn't support a font, a different font will be substituted. This can affect layout of the sheet. We recommend using common fonts (e.g. Times New Roman, Arial, Courier) and testing sheets on a device and browser you plan to support. If fonts are substituted, Static Text Fields may need to be larger to fit all text.
Single Page Sheets: If a single page sheet, make sure all fields and elements are located within the page.
Adding Initial Boxes: To add initial boxes so a patient can distinctly acknowledge sections of a form, you have two options:
- Create a pseudo margin so you have room on the right or left side of the form. Add checkboxes as the initial boxes and a signature box at the bottom. Patients can check the boxes, then sign at the bottom to establish identity and acknowledgment.
- If using touch screens, use Rectangles larger than checkboxes, labeled 'initials'. Customer can then use a finger or stylus to initial.
Checkboxes are usually sufficient for an electronic form because electronic signatures will be invalidated if the state of a checkbox changes (e.g. from unchecked to checked).