Set up Web Sched Recall
This page explains how to set up Web Sched Recall.
- Sign up for Web Sched Recall. To send text message reminders, also sign up for Integrated Texting.
- Define options that affect available time slots:
- Review Recall List Settings
- Customize the email and text message
- Review Recall List defaults
- Set Automation Options
- Check Patient Information
Webinar: Web Sched Recall Installation and Use
To open the Web Sched Recalls setup window, in the main menu, click eServices, Web Sched, Recalls.
Only operatories marked 'Is Web Sched' are considered for available time slots for Web Sched Recall appointments. To change an operatory's 'Is Web Sched' setting:
- Double click a row to open Operatory Setup.
- Double click the operatory.
- Check/uncheck the 'Is Web Sched' box.
- Save changes and close Operatory Setup.
Recall Type Settings
Review the intervals and time patterns/appointment length for special type recall types (prophy, childprophy, and perio). These are the recall types that receive Web Sched Recall reminders. To edit a recall type's settings:
- Double click a row in th Recall Types grid to open Recall Type Setup.
- Make changes to a recall type as needed.
- Close the Recall Types area. You may be prompted to synchronize recalls for all patients.
- All Recall Types
Note: All recall types show in the Recall Types grid, but only 'special types' will receive Web Sched Recall reminders.
Blockouts and Provider Time
These settings affect available time slots for Web Sched Recall appointments.
Ignore Blockout Types: By default, Web Sched Recall does not consider Blockouts as available time. However, you can allow scheduling during specific blockout times by 'ignoring' a blockout type.
- Click Edit to open a list of all blockout types.
- Highlight any blockout types to ignore (Web Sched Recall appointments can be scheduled in the blockout).
- Click OK.
Time Slots: Under the Available Time Slots area, select how provider selection affects available time slots.
- First Available: Show available time slots for all providers.
- Primary Provider: Only show available time slots for the patient's primary provider.
- Secondary Provider: Only show available time slots for the patient's secondary provider.
- Last Seen Hygienist: Only show available time slots for the last hygienist seen by the patient.
The Available Time Slots area provides a preview of open time slots for up to a month. To preview according to different criteria, change a criteria:
- Date: The date of the first previewed opening (start date). Click Today to insert today's date.
- Recall Type: View open slots for a specific recall type.
- Provider: View open slots for a specific provider.
- Clinic: View open slots for a specific clinic.
Note: When there are openings in multiple operatories, appointments scheduled using 'First Available' provider as the criteria will be scheduled in the operatory on the farthest left of the schedule (order of 1).
Review Recall List Settings
Default settings for the Recall List affect when and to whom automated Web Sched Recall reminders are sent, as well as the message content. Click Recall Setup to open Recall List Setup and review settings.
Customize Messages: For both email and text, there are WebSched messages for three reminders (first, second, third). Double click on a reminder to make changes.
Below are examples of the default text for the first WebSched reminders (1).
Variable options include:
- NameFL: Patient first and last name.
- NameF: Patient first name only.
- FamilyList: List first name and recall due date of all family members (if Group Families is selected).
- DueDate: Date the recall is due.
- URL: The unique link the patient will click to schedule their appointment. The generated link will be appointment and patient-specific and cannot be changed.
- ClinicName: Clinic name (patient's default clinic).
- ClinicPhone: Clinic phone number.
- PracticeName: Practice name.
- PracticePhone: Practice phone.
- OfficePhone: Uses clinic phone number if available, otherwise inserts practice phone.
Review Recall List Defaults: For automated reminders, patients are sent a Web Sched Recall reminder when they meet the default criteria for the Recall List (would show in the list today). We recommend reviewing the Recall List default settings.
A patient shows in the Recall List when:
- Their recall due date falls within the default date range and they have not yet received a recall reminder.
- They are due for a second or third reminder.
The date range is determined by these settings:
- Days Past: Determines the default Start Date.
- Days Future: Determines the default End Date.
Exclude: These options affect whether patients with scheduled appointments show in the list.
- Exclude from list if recall scheduled
- Exclude from list if any future appt
Reminders: Once the first Web Sched Recall reminder is sent, the reminder intervals affect when the second and third reminder are sent.
- Initial Reminder: The number of days after the first reminder to send the second reminder.
- Second (or more) Reminder: The number of days after the second reminder to send the third reminder.
These settings determine automated preferences. Automation is optional. You can always manually send Web Sched Recall reminders from the Recall List.
Send Email Messages Automatically To
Select whether or not automated email Web Sched Recall reminders are sent, and if yes, to which patients.
- Do not send: Do not send automated email reminders to patients. This turns automated email reminders OFF.
- Patients with email addresses: Email automated recall reminders to any patient who has an email address.
- Patients with email address and no other preferred recall method is selected: Only email automated recall reminders to patients with an email address and no other Preferred Recall Method.
- Patients with email addresses and email is selected as their Preferred Recall Method: Only email automated recall reminders to patients with an email address who have also have email as their Preferred Recall Method.
Send Text Messages Automatically To
Select whether or not auomated text Web Sched Recall reminders are sent, and if yes, to which patients.
- Do not send: Do not send automated text reminders to patients. This turns automated text reminders OFF.
- Patients with wireless phone and texting OK: Only send automated text reminders to patients who have a wireless phone number and are marked to accept text messages (Edit Patient Information window, Text OK).
Max number of texts sent every 10 minutes per clinic: Determines how many messages are sent in a batch. Defaults to 2. Limiting the batch amount can be useful when there are many messages to be sent (hundreds) and you are worried about possible message failure. If blank, there is no limit.
Note: The automated eServices Schedule also affects when automated recall reminders are sent. See Automated eServices Schedule.
To receive a Web Sched Recall reminder, patients also need to have basic information entered. We recommend checking the following for each patient on the Edit Patient Information window.
- Email address
- Wireless phone number
- Text OK status
- Preferred Recall Method
- If using clinics, make sure a default clinic is assigned.
When using Web Sched Recall, make sure your general recall settings are correct. See Recall: General Setup.
- Providers are assigned based on the operatory the appointment is scheduled in (the provider of the operatory for the time block). It is therefore important to assign a default provider to the operatory and/or assign the operatory to the provider's schedule time block.
- The provider's Schedule should extend as far into the future as you want to schedule appointments. You can't schedule recall appointments 3 months in the future if there is no schedule set 3 months out.
- The appointment schedule's Time Increment affects appointment start/end.
- Recall type time pattern determines appointment length.
- Recall type procedures determine the procedures on the appointment.
Clinics: Web Sched will first check for available openings in operatories of the patient's clinic. If the patient has no clinic, it will look at operatories for the clinic of the last scheduled or completed appointment. If no clinic can be determined, only time slots in operatories assigned to no clinic are considered (operratories flagged 'Is Web Sched' with 'None' as the clinic).
Aggregated Messages: When multiple family members are sent a Web Sched Recall reminder, the message will be aggregated into one. The aggregated message format cannot be changed.
Aggregated text message recall reminder:
Dental checkups due: [FamilyListURLs].
Visit links to schedule appointments or call [OfficePhone].
Aggregated email message recall reminder:
These family members are due for a dental checkup:
Please visit the links above or call our office today at [OfficePhone] to schedule your appointment.
The [FamilyListURLs] tag will be replaced lines that look like this:
Harry - Schedule appointment at http://od.ag/w/LWVhHhR
Web Sched Troubleshooting
eServices General Troubleshooting
In Open Dental