Set up X-Charge (one set of credentials)
Below are instructions for setting up X-Charge (also known as OpenEdge) using a single set of credentials.
Note: If using clinics, you can set different X-Charge credentials for different merchant accounts. See X-Charge Clinic Setup instead.
- Contact X-Charge to install the X-Charge client program.
- Open the X-Charge Setup window. You have three options:
- (first credit card transaction) On the Payment window, click X-Charge.
- In the Main Menu, click Setup, Program Links, X-Charge.
- On the Payment window right-click the X-Charge button, Settings.
- Check the Enabled box.
- Enter the path to the XCharge.exe.
- Enter the X-Charge username and password (supplied by X-Charge).
- Select payment defaults:
Payment Type: Select the default payment type for X-Charge transactions. To customize options see Definitions: Payment Types.
Prompt for signature on CC trans by default: Check this box to prompt patients for a signature on the credit card terminal before completing transaction. The terminal must support electronic signatures.
Print receipts by default: Check this box to automatically print a receipt to the default receipt Printer when a transaction is completed.
Recurring charge list force duplicates by default: By default, duplicate charges to the same card, on the same day, for the same amount will be denied. This is to prevent accidentally charging a card twice. Check this box to allow duplicate charges on the same card by default. Used if family members have recurring charges setup on the same credit card.
- To enable Online Payments via the Patient Portal, enter X-Web settings.
a. Check the 'Enable X-Web for patient portal payments' box.
b. Enter the XWebID (12 digits).
c. Enter the Auth Key (32 digits).
Enter the Terminal ID (8 digits).
- Click OK to save settings.
To set the default for storage of credit card tokens, see Account Module Preferences, 'Automatically store credit card tokens'.
Installing X-Charge with a Terminal
Below are some points to consider based on a user's experience installing the X-Charge server using a terminal.
- Setup may take 1 - 2 hours plus follow-up.
- When you call the X-Charge help desk the first time, choose Install in the Touch Tone menu (not Tech Support).
- Install X-Charge as a Windows Service to prevent accidental shutdown of the X-Charge program and/or server.
- If capturing signatures, they will be stored on the workstation in your office that acts as the X-Charge server. Make sure you have a backup plan.
- Install the X-Charge server on your central server; it does not need to be connected to a terminal. X-Charge may want to set it up on a workstation connected to a terminal, but do not do this. This way you can organize your backups to save signatures along with other data on the central server.
- On the terminal:
Debit cards have to be swiped and patient will key in the 4 digit pin, even if the cards have chips.
- When a transaction is complete, a receipt will print (customer's copy). This receipt does not have the signature on it.
- Completed signatures can only be accessed by running the X-Charge utility.
- ISC-250 terminal:
can be customized to display your logo and a short message.
- If a patient calls in a payment, the card number must be keyed into the terminal. If a workstation only has the X-Charge software (and no terminal), the keyboard can be used.
- Staff training is important. The EMV transaction process can be confusing due to the requirements of EMV technology.