Using Required Fields, you can prompt staff to complete certain fields when entering patient information or insurance payments.
- Birthdate cannot be blank.
- Gender cannot be unknown.
- Student status must be chosen if patient age is greater than 17 or less than 35.
- Validate the number of digits in a Medicaid ID.
How it works:
- When staff enters patient information, required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- If required fields are incomplete when staff clicks OK, a notification message will show with two options: return to the window to complete information or proceed without completing information.
- When required fields are left incomplete, the Audit Trail logs an entry.
Note: Some fields are filled in automatically or will not trigger a popup.
- StudentStatus: Only triggers a popup for a new patient. If the required field is ignored, a non-student status is automatically assigned.
- PrimaryProvider: Automatically assigned and will not trigger a popup, unless Primary Provider defaults to Select Provider in patient edit and add family is checked in Family Module Preferences.
- BillingType: Will not trigger a popup.
Mark Fields as Required
- In the Main Menu, click Setup, Required Fields.
Field Type: Select which area to apply required fields to.
Available fields: Lists all fields that can be marked required. Field options vary depending on which options are enabled in Show Features.
Required fields: Lists all fields currently marked required. Click on a field to view a description of the requirement under the grid.
Conditions: (optional) Add specific conditions that require a field to be completed. An X will show in the Conditions column.
- Highlight an available field, then click the right arrow to add it to the Required Fields list. To select multiple fields at once, press Shift + click. To remove a required field, select it and click the left arrow.
- Optional: Set specific conditions that require a field to be completed.
- Highlight the required field.
- Click Add under Conditions.
- Select the Condition type, operator, and value. Options will change based on the criteria selected.
- Set multiple conditions for a required field. In this case, the field is required only when all of the conditions are met.
- Click OK to save.
- Click OK to save required field settings.
Validation of Medicaid ID and State
If Medicaid is turned on in Show Features, the MedicaidID and MedicaidState fields list as Available Fields. In addition to designating the fields as required, you can also turn on validation that ensures the number of digits in the Medicaid ID is correct for the entered state.
- Add MedicaidID and/or MedicaidState to the Required Fields list.
- Highlight MedicaidID or MedicaidState.
- Check Validate the number of digits in MedicaidID to be correct for that state turn on validation. This box is checked by default when MedicaidID or MedicaidState is added as a required field. When checked, a Medicaid ID Length column will also show in the state abbreviation list. See State Abbreviations to enter the number of digits in a Medicaid ID by state.
How Medicaid ID validation works: When user clicks OK on the Edit Patient Information window, Open Dental will check if the number of digits entered for Medicaid ID matches the Medicaid ID Length entered for the state in the State Abbreviations list. If not, the user will be warned that required fields are missing or incorrect. If they return to the window (click Cancel), a red exclamation point will show next to the State field. Hovering over the field will show a message that indicates the required ID length.