See Secure Email Setup.
First, enable Secure Email in eServices Signup.
Note: Secure Email is currently in Limited Beta. If interested, please contact Open Dental support and request to speak with an eService Team Member.
Sending Secure Email
To send a secure email message:
- In Open Dental, select the patient to email.
- If emailing another provider or office, add them as a patient. Set the patient status for these accounts to NonPatient.
- Click Email.
- Enter the email body and click Send Secure. See Email Message Edit for details.
When a patient receives a secure email message, they will do the following to view the message:
- In their email client, they will receive a notice that a secure email is available.
- The patient clicks here. They will be prompted to enter a One Time Passcode.
- The Access Code will be emailed to the same email address for the patient.
- The patient will copy and paste the code, then clicks Verify.
- The patient will then be able to view the secure message.
- Inbox: The patient can view other received secure email messages.
- Sent: The patient can view replies they sent back to the office.
- Files: The patient can view any files attached to secure email messages.
- If the patient wishes to reply, they will click Reply All.
- When the patient is done reviewing messages, they can Sign Out.
Receiving Patient Replies
To view replies to Secure Emails, see Email Client.
Note: If testing Secure Email, use a different To Address than the From Address. Using the same email address for To and From will not allow a notification to be sent.