See Credit Card, XCharge (OpenEdge).
Set up XCharge to process credit/debit card transactions and check payments. To set up different credentials for Clinics using different merchant accounts, see XCharge Setup for Clinics.
- Contact XCharge to install the XCharge client program.
- Open the XCharge Setup window. You have three options:
- In the Main Menu, click Setup, Program Links, X-Charge from x-charge.com.
- On the Payment window, right-click on XCharge, Settings.
- (first credit card transaction) On the Payment Window, click XCharge.
- Check the Enabled box.
- Enter the Program Path to the XCharge.exe.
- Enter the Username and Password supplied by XCharge.
- Select the Payment Settings:
- Select the default Payment Type for XCharge transactions. Customize options in Definitions: Payment Types.
- Check Prompt signature on CC trans by default to prompt patients for a signature on the credit card terminal before completing transactions. The terminal must support electronic signatures.
- Check Print receipts by default to automatically print a receipt to the default receipt Printer when a transaction is completed.
- Recurring charge list force duplicates by default: By default, duplicate charges to the same card, on the same day, for the same amount will be denied. This is to prevent accidentally charging a card twice. Check this box to allow duplicate charges on the same card by default. Used if family members have CC Recurring Charges setup on the same credit card.
- Prevent saving new cards: Uncheck to allow users to process new transactions or save new payment information to a patient's account. Check to prevent users from processing new transactions or saving new payment information.
- To enable Online Patient Portal Payments, enter XWeb settings.
- Enter the XWebID (12 digits).
- Enter the Auth Key (32 digits).
- Enter the Terminal ID (8 digits).
- Check the Enable X-Web for patient portal payments box.
- Click OK to save settings.
To set whether or not new credit and debit cards are saved to a patient's account after each transaction, see Account Module Preferences, Automatically store credit card tokens.
Installing X-Charge with a Terminal
Below are some points to consider based on a user's experience installing the XCharge server using a terminal.
- Setup may take 1 - 2 hours plus follow-up.
- When you call the XCharge help desk the first time, choose Install in the Touch Tone menu (not Tech Support).
- Install XCharge as a Windows Service to prevent accidental shutdown of the XCharge program and/or server.
- If capturing signatures, they will be stored on the workstation in your office that acts as the XCharge server. Make sure you have a backup plan.
- Install the XCharge server on your central server; it does not need to be connected to a terminal. XCharge may want to set it up on a workstation connected to a terminal, but do not do this. This way you can organize your backups to save signatures along with other data on the central server.
- On the terminal:
- Debit cards have to be swiped and patient will key in the 4 digit pin, even if the cards have chips.
- When a transaction is complete, a receipt will print (customer's copy). This receipt does not have the signature on it.
- Completed signatures can only be accessed by running the XCharge utility.
- ISC-250 terminal:
- It can be customized to display your logo and a short message.
- If a patient calls in a payment, the card number must be keyed into the terminal. If a workstation only has the XCharge software (and no terminal), the keyboard can be used.
- Staff training is important. The EMV transaction process can be confusing due to the requirements of EMV technology.