The Merge Patients tool can be used to merge duplicate patient accounts into one. Patient first name, last name, and birthdate do not need to match.
- In the main menu, click Tools, Misc Tools, Merge Patients.
- Click Change to select the patient accounts.
Patient to merge into: The patient account that will remain. If you bridge to an imaging software, the patient account linked to the images should be retained.
Patient to merge from: The patient account that will be merged into the top patient.
- Click Merge. A message will show when the merge is successful. If the patient first name, last name, and birthdate do not match, a warning message will pop up. Click Yes to merge the patients anyway, or No to cancel.
After the merge:
- The status of the Patient to merge from will change to 'Archived". It can still be accessed via the Select Patient window by selecting the Show Archived/Deceased checkbox, and in the Family module, Family Member list.
- Duplicate information (e.g. insurance, recall) will need manual clean up after the merge.
- History for both the merge 'from' and 'to' patient can be viewed in the Audit Trail.
- As a second step, consider deleting the patient in the Family module.