The Account Module is where the patient's finances are organized. Accounts are tracked on a patient basis, not a family basis.
Also see Account Module Table of Contents and Webinars.
A list of all family members appears under Select Patient on the right. Single click on a family member to quickly switch patient accounts.
Payment: Enter a Patient Payment. Click the dropdown to allocate unearned income (e.g. Prepayments).
Adjustment: Enter a negative or positive Adjustment.
New Claim: Click the button directly to create Create a Claim based on insurance plan situation or select an option via the dropdown.
- Primary: Create a primary dental claim.
- Secondary: Manually create a Secondary Claim.
- Medical: Create a medical or institutional claim.
- Other: For patients with three or more dental insurance plans.
Payment Plan: Set up a Payment Plan for a patient. Useful for orthodontic offices.
Installment Plan: Set up an Installment Plan. This is a quick alternative to a payment plan.
Quick Procs: Quickly add procedures to a patient's account. See Quick Procs.
Repeating Charge: Add a Repeating Charge to be added to the patient's balance on a monthly basis. Useful for orthodontic offices.
Statement: Click the button to send a full Statement to the printer, or click the dropdown for other options.
- Walkout: Send a walkout statement directly to the printer.
- Email: Email a PDF version of the full statement.
- Receipt: Send a receipt directly to the printer.
- Invoice: Generate an invoice.
- Limited Statement: Generate a limited statement that only includes selected procedures and associated transactions.
- More Options: Open the Statement window to select specific statement options.
Questionnaire: Launch the Questionnaire feature. Only shows if enabled in Show Features.
TrojanCollect: Launch Trojan Express Collect. Only shows if enabled in Show Features.
Aging and Balance Due
Typically, Aging (30/60/90 days past due) is updated daily for all patients. Every time you open a patient's account, the aging is also recomputed for accuracy.
Next to aging, the estimated balances
after insurance pays can be seen.
- Total: The total balance for all family members.
- Ins Est: The total insurance pending amount for all family members.
- Est Bal (bold red): The total remaining balance for the family after substracting pending insurance amounts.
- Pat Est Bal: The selected patient's balance after subtracting pending insurance amounts.
- Ins Rem: Hover over the box see insurance remaining. The amounts are calculated the same way as in the Treatment Plan module.
- Unearned: The amount of unearned income that is unallocated to procedures or providers (e.g. prepayments).
Note: If 'Balances don't subtract insurance estimate' in Account Module Preferences is turned on, the captions above balance information are different (Balance (bold red), Ins Pending, After Ins, Pat Est Bal). This
option is useful if your office does not accept
insurance assignment of benefits and the patient pays the full amount regardless of
the insurance estimate.
To give you as many choices as possible, there is not a close out process at the end of the month to put procedures into history. Instead, if you don't want previous entries to be altered, assign Security permissions to users based on date. Older entries can still be changed, but only if you have permission and the correct password. Procedures themselves are always protected from alteration regardless of your security settings.
If a Payment Plan or Installment Plan is set up for the family, details show at the top of this window. Double click a plan to view terms, amortization schedule, or to edit. If, in Account Module Preferences, ' Display PayPlanCharges as line items in Account Module and Aging of A/R' is turned on, payment plan credits and debits also show in the Patient Account Ledger and are included in balances and aging.
Patient Account Ledger
This area lists all procedures, grouped by date with related claims, insurance payments, patient payments (and pay splits), adjustments, statements, invoices, and receipts. If Line Item Payment Plans is turned on, payment plan credits and debits also show. Double click an item to edit.
- Text colors for entry types can be customized in Definitions, Account Colors.
- Columns can be customized in Display Fields, AccountModule.
- Default options can be set in Account Module Preferences.
- Running balances never take into account pending insurance estimates.
The date of the insurance payment will be the Payment Date of the Claim Procedures attached to the claim. If a claim has procedures with different payment dates, there will be multiple line items for 'Insurance Payment for Claim'.
The Communications Log lists all Commlog entries for the patient. There is a splitter between the main account grid and the Commlog. Drag the splitter up or down to shrink or expand the log.
Fam Urgent Fin Note: This note applies to the entire family. It shows in red and is meant for very important financial notes. It also shows in red in a variety of other places throughout the program. If you have monitors that are visible to the patients and you don't want them to accidentally see your note, type 'see below' on the first line. Then hit the enter key a few times before typing your note. This will force users to scroll down to see the note.
Credit Card Manage: See Credit Cards.
Select Patient: Lists all family members. Click on a patient to select.
Family Financial: These notes are not tracked in the Audit Trail. This is an older version of the Commlog that will be eliminated within a few versions.
Select which information displays in the Account module.
Start/End Date: Filter results in the Patient Account grid by date. Enter a start and end date manually then click Refresh, or click a button to select today only, Last 45 Days, Last 90 Days, or All Dates (no date range).
Show Proc Breakdowns: Display additional financial information in the description column for each procedure (e.g. patient portion, insurance paid, writeoff, adjustment). To show the breakdown on statements, select "Show procedure breakdown" in Manage Module Preferences.
Show Family Comm Entries: Show Commlog entries for the entire family rather than just for the current patient.
Show Completed Pay Plans: Show Payment Plans that have been closed in the Payment Plan grid. See Closing Payment Plans. This setting will affect all workstations.
At the lower right is the Questionnaire button and the Trojan Express Collect button.
This grid only shows if you have added fields
to AccountPatientInformation in Display Fields. It can list billing type and Custom Patient Fields.