In the Main Menu, click Setup, Appointments, Confirmations.
On the Setup Confirmation window, define the default message text for confirmations sent from the Confirmation List (text messages, emails, and postcards). You can also set the default appointment confirmation status to apply when a confirmation is sent.
Note: To set default options for printing postcards and email logic, see Setup Recall
Hint: Use Automated Messaging Feature to automate the confirmation process. These eServices send automated text or email messages to remind patients about upcoming appointments. Patients can even electronically confirm, which changes their appointment confirmation status. Click Automated eConfirmation and eReminder Setup to access the setup area.
The Messages grid lists the message text used for postcard, email, and text message confirmations sent from the Confirmation List.
- Mode: When the message will be used based on the method of delivery (Postcard, Email, Text).
- Second column: General guidance about the message and what variables are available for use.
- Message: The text itself.
- Group Families: Determines the default setting of the Group Families box in the Confirmation List.
- Checked: Family members group together by default and receive one confirmation.
- Unchecked: Each family member receives their own confirmation by default.
Customize Message Text
- Double click on a row.
- Enter the subject or message text. Insert variables as needed.
- Click OK to save.
Text with brackets indicates variables that pull information directly from the database. For example:
"[NameF], we would like to confirm your dental appointment on [date] at [time]"
might look like this in the message:
"John, we would like to confirm your dental appointment on 3/24/2018 at 9:00 a.m."
- [NameF]: Patient first name.
- [date]: Appointment date.
- [time]: Appointment time.
- [FamilyApptList]: List first name, and appointment date and time of all family members. Required when using Group Families.
A message segment is 160 characters. Each additional message segment will result in additional charges.
- A carriage return adds two characters.
- The following characters are allowed. If other characters are used the message will fail.
a-z, A-Z, 0-9, . , : ; ! ? ( ) ~ = + - _ \ / @ $ # & %
- Regular email and text messaging are not secure methods of sending PHI. See Encryption of Data at Rest and in Transit.
- Postcard messages have a limit of 465 characters. Any characters beyond that will be cut off on the printed postcard.
Confirmation Status Options
The status options determine which Confirmation Status is automatically applied to the appointment when a confirmation is sent.
- Status for emailed confirmation: The confirmation status applied to the appointment when a confirmation is emailed from the Confirmation List.
- Status for texted confirmation: The confirmation status applied to the appointment when a confirmation is texted from the Confirmation List.
See Setup Recall to select Postcard options (per page, return address, offsets) that affect confirmation postcards.