Insurance Payment Plans can be used to track expected insurance payments (e.g. insurance installment payments). For example, insurance may pay $1000 towards orthodontics, but pay it in four installments of $250 each. Tracking expected insurance payments is especially useful in orthodontics.
- Create and send the claim. Each claim can only be associated with a single payment plan.
- When the first insurance payment arrives, set up the insurance payment plan.
- Receive and finalize the first insurance claim payment. See Insurance Claim Payments.
- As you receive additional payments, add Supplemental Insurance Payments for the payment amount.
- As long as the patient on the claim matches the patient on the payment plan, and the payment plan has a balance, the payment will automatically attach to the payment plan.
- Run the Insurance Payment Plans Past Due Report to view patients with insurance payment plan amounts past due.
Set up the Insurance Payment Plan
When you receive the first insurance payment and EOB, set up the insurance payment plan.
- Select the patient.
- In the Account Module, click Payment Plan, Insurance Payment Plan.
For a description of all fields, see Payment Plan Window.
- Category: Assign a category to this payment plan (e.g. Ortho, Implant). Useful to distinguish one payment plan from another when families have many plans. Customize category options in Definitions: Payment Plan Categories.
- Provider: Verify the provider.
- Clinic: If using clinics, verify the clinic.
- Insurance Plan: Click Change, select the insurance plan this payment plan is for, then click OK.
- Total Amount: Enter the total amount of expected payments.
- Date of First Payment: Enter the date the first insurance payment is received (e.g. today's date).
- Enter the expected Number of Payments or expected Payment Amt.
- Click More Options to select the frequency of payments. The default is monthly.
- Click Create Schedule to create the amortization schedule.
- Tx Completed Amt: Enter the total amount of all insurance payments (see step 5). This is the amount that will be subtracted from the patient's account balance.
- Click OK to save the plan.
- If for some reason insurance pays less than originally stated, adjust the Tx Completed Amt in the payment plan to transfer any remaining due amounts to the patient or to discount any remaining due amounts, click Add Adjustment to enter a payment plan adjustment. The Total Amount and Total Tx Amt will automatically adjust for the discount.
- To track insurance payments for procedures on multiple claims, create a payment plan for each claim.
Attaching/Detaching Payments to or from Plans: If you create the claim payment before you create the insurance payment plan, the payment will not automatically attach to the payment plan. To manually attach, open the claim payment, double click the procedure to open the Claim Procedures (claimprocs) window, then check Attached to Insurance Payment Plan.
To detach a payment from an insurance payment plan, open claim, double click the procedure to open the Claim Procedure window, then uncheck Attached to Insurance Payment Plan.
When entering the insurance payment, it does not automatically attach to the payment plan even though there is a balance on the plan.
- First check that the Tx Completed Amt in the insurance payment plan matches the Total Amount of expected payments.
- If the Tx Completed Amt is 0, you will be unable to attach the payment to the plan.