The Ortho Chart can be used to keep track of orthodontic visits in a grid format.
In the Chart Module toolbar, click Ortho Chart.
Alternatively, double-click the Ortho Chart area from the Ortho Tab.
The information in this window is completely separate from information in the regular patient chart. The Ortho Chart can also be adapted for other purposes unrelated to orthodontics.
In Ortho Setup, enable Show Ortho button and tab in Chart module to use this feature.
Users must have the Ortho Chart Edit (full) or Ortho Chart Edit (same user, signed) Permission to make changes or additions to the Ortho Chart. Users without permission will see some buttons in the Ortho Chart disabled.
For information on setting up the ortho chart, see Ortho Chart Setup.
See our webinar: Ortho Chart
The information that displays in the Patient Fields grid is determined by Patient Fields created by the office. Double-click a field to enter a value.
The Ortho Info grid displays patient Auto Ortho information. Only shows if Show Auto Ortho information in the ortho chart is enabled Ortho Setup.
User / Signature
The User and Signature information displays if a signature column has been added to a tab.
- User: Displays the user that signed a note, if any. Highlight the signature box in a row to display the user.
- Change User: Click to change the user who signed the note. Click the signature box to update, select the new provider, enter a signature, then click the signature box again.
- Signature: Enter the provider Electronic Signature. Validity of electronic signatures is determined by Open Dental. Entries with a valid signature are highlighted green and Valid shows in the signature column. Invalid signatures will turn the row red and the signature column will display Invalid. Signatures may be invalidated by:
- Changing the patient name.
- Changing any data in the signed row.
- Removing the signature box in Display Fields, making changes to ortho chart fields, then adding the signature box.
- Editing the database outside of Open Dental.
The Ortho chart is customizable based on Ortho Chart Setup.
- Date Range: Display notes for a date range. Click [...] to open the Date Range Filter and select options. This date range also affects the date range selected in the Ortho Chart Audit Trail.
- Tabs: By default, the Ortho Chart tab displays. Additional tabs can be added in Ortho Chart Setup.
- Columns: The columns that display on a tab are customized in Ortho Chart Setup. Click into a cell to enter data.
- Add Row: Click to add a new row to the currently selected tab. Ortho Chart entries are sorted by date (oldest to newest). When a tab is opened, only date entries with data in them will show. Entering data on one tab populates all tabs with that date and data if columns are the same.
- Date: Enter the date manually. Alternatively, click Today to quickly insert today's date or Now to quickly insert today's date and current time.
- Provider: Optional. Select the provider from the dropdown.
- OK: Click to add the new row, then make edits to the columns as needed.
- Auto Note: Optional. Click into a cell, then click to use Auto Notes to enter information.
- Delete: Highlight a row and click to delete it.
- Audit Trail: View historical changes made on a dated entry. Both patient field and ortho chart changes are tracked.
- To see changes for a specific date, highlight the date under Date Service. By default, dates selected match the date range selected in the Ortho Chart.
- Print: Print the ortho chart grid exactly as it shows when print is clicked. Print in landscape if necessary to fit all columns. In the printout header, the title of the Ortho Chart will display first. The first tab in the list determines the title. The selected tab's title will display beneath that.
Ortho Chart Locking
Ortho Charts can only be edited by one user at a time. By default, the Locked by note will display at the bottom with the current user allowed to make edits.
Take Control: Only displays for users with Ortho Chart Edit permission. If the Ortho Chart is locked by another user, the Take Control button will display and other buttons will be hidden. The user cannot make edits until they click this button to take over editing.
When a user takes control from another user, the current controller's work will be saved and can be seen by the new controller.